Making a Complaint

Complaints are best addressed and resolved at the time and place they occur. If you have a complaint, please first speak with the person who provided the service or to the manager of the area.

If we have not met your expectations, we are committed to working with you to find a reasonable solution.

New online form to submit feedback

There is a new way for patients and family members to submit feedback. An online form has been created to allow patients to electronically register compliments and concerns. 

The PCQO encourages all patients to first address their concerns at the point of care. This will allow a more timely response to feedback shared. If you remain unsatisfied after speaking directly with care staff, please submit your feedback electronically or contact the Patient Care Quality Office by telephone 250-370-8323 or email at

What if my complaint is not resolved?

Should your complaint remain unresolved after discussing the issue directly with the service area manager, we encourage you to contact our Patient Care Quality Office.

Complaints may be submitted to the Patient Care Quality Office (PCQO) in writing via regular mail, in writing via email, verbally over the telephone and in person. When submitting a complaint via any of the methods listed above, it is helpful to include appropriate background information so that the Patient Care Quality Officers may follow up promptly and effectively. 

When you contact the PCQO, please include the following information, whenever possible:

  • your full name
  • the name and birth date for the patient who received care
  • the location/facility where care was provided
  • the date(s) that the care was provided
  • contact information for the complainant and/or the patient 
  • relevant information regarding ‘Representation Agreement’ or ‘Temporary Care Decision-Maker’ designations

What can I expect if I complain to the Patient Care Quality Office?

You can expect your complaint to be dealt with promptly and fairly. The Patient Care Quality Office will:

  • formally register your complaint
  • work with you to identify a reasonable resolution to your concern
  • respond to your complaint
  • provide an explanation about any decisions and actions taken as a result of your complaint

What if I am not satisfied with the result?

If you are not satisfied with the resolution you have received from the Patient Care Quality Office you may request a review from the Patient Care Quality Review Boards. The Review Boards provide an independent review process regarding care quality complaints originating in our health authorities.  The Review Boards can be reached toll-free at: 1-866-952-2448. For more information on the Review Boards, please visit:

How can I make a public health complaint?

Island Health monitors facilities and systems related to public health:

  • Child care facilities
  • Communicable disease
  • Drinking water
  • Food safety
  • Long term care facilities
  • Personal service inspections (tattoos, tanning, and piercings)
  • Recreational water (beaches, pools)
  • Sewage
  • Tobacco & vapour retail enforcement, smoke-free spaces

To report a public health issue or violation, visit