The mental health and substance use teams in your community are here to support you, your friend or family member at whatever stage of the journey.
To access services in your community, please refer to our Intake Information which will help you through the referral process.
Some of the teams listed below you will access through Intake, others you can contact directly. Many of our teams are inter-disciplinary and work together to focus on the individual needs of each client.
Intensive Case Management Teams
The intensive case management team is an inter-disciplinary, outreach team that practices from a harm reduction, strengths based philosophy and partners with individuals who are actively using substances. ICMT respects and acknowledges personal differences and promotes a focus on the assets and abilities of the person and their environment.
Some services and eligibility criteria may vary dependent on community.
They provide support for people
- 19 years of age or older
- Experiencing moderate to severe impacts in their daily functioning due to a high level of substance use
- Have mental health concerns
- May have regular involvement with emergency services including the legal system
People partnering with ICMT require more intensive services than are available in the traditional mental health and substance use system of care.
ICMT services will include street outreach and providing services in the community, meeting people where they are to be found. Individuals will be engaged by the multi-disciplinary team, integrating with other direct community and health care services to support people and families.
|Location||Contact & Referral|
Intensive Case Management Team - 713
A referral can be made through Pathways or through individuals in the community. To make a community referral, please contact our info line for specific information and a referral form.
101-1742 Cliffe Ave
Referrals to ICMT are made via the CV ICM referral form which can be faxed to 250-331-8549
For more information and to reach our office directly, please call 250-331-8548
Case Management Teams
A client-centered service providing specialized psychiatric treatment and recovery oriented skills training to increase independence and quality of life.
Referral to case management is via Intake.
Support for Addictions through Management of Independence (SAMI) - Victoria
The Support for Addictions through Management of Independence (SAMI) team supports clients who have severe and problematic substance use. We create connections to psychosocial, shelter and medical supports.
Our goal is to help our clients develop self-management strategies and independent living skills related to their substance use.
This is a transitional service, and plans for discharge and transition are identified early, not exceeding 90 days in most cases.
In addition to Island Health clinicians and administrative staff, the SAMI team has two peer support workers provided by Umbrella Society for Additions and Mental Health.
- have multiple recent Emergency department and/or Psychiatric Emergency Service (PES) visits for substance use-related concerns
- have high use of acute care services
- have severe and persistent problematic substance use which may include mental health issues
- have limited or no professional supports
- have frequent police involvement due to their substance use
- are living at-risk in the community due to their substance use (may be housed or homeless)
- have complex and often untreated physical and mental health issues due to their substance use
- require intensive outreach case management in the community (visits several times per day or week) to help improve their health outcomes
We accept referrals from clinicians at Emergency Rooms and other inpatient areas in the Greater Victoria area. For referrals from other areas please call the number below.
Royal Jubilee Hospital
Adult Substance Use Services Team Nanaimo
Provides information, education, support and treatment for people affected by or at risk of developing alcohol and other drug-related difficulties.
3151 Barons Road
Call the team directly at 250-739-5880 for intake and service inquiries
Or walk in to 3151 Barons Road
Walk in hours are:
Monday 8:30 - 11:00 a.m.
Wednesday 1:00 - 3:30 p.m.
- Screening and orientation
- Individual and group treatment
- Hospital patient assessment and referral (SHARE) services.
- Works closely with all other Mental Health and Substance Use Services, other relevant Island Health services, probation, Child, Youth and Family Health and other community agencies.
General Information on Mental Health & Substance Use Teams in Your Community
Refer to each team.
Refer to each team.