This outreach team works with individuals who have experienced a recent opioid overdose and are not connected to a case management or substance use team. The team consists of Island Health Registered Nurses and Umbrella Society Outreach Workers.
SURF offers the following:
- Rapid follow-up after an overdose
- System navigation and referrals to appropriate services
- Medical support from Island Health registered nurses
- MHSU peer support from Umbrella outreach workers
- Support with accessing Opioid Agonist Therapy (Methadone, Kadian, Suboxone, Safe Supply)
- Harm reduction supplies
- Overdose prevention education
General Information on Substance Use Rapid Follow Up Team (SURF)
Most referrals are generated by BC Emergency Health Services following an overdose.
At this time, we are able to accept referrals from other sources for individuals following an overdose or who are at high risk of overdose.
Monday - Sunday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.