Housing, Vocational & Independent Living

Housing, Vocational & Independent Living

Housing Support

We provide several levels of housing support for those with mental health and substance use issues. Support may include:

  • Licensed  Residential Care
  • 24 hour professional supervision and support. Services include room, board, recreation, rehabilitative therapy, medication administered
  • High Intensity Supported Housing
    24 hour support with access to nursing on a daily basis and on call on weekends.  Services include room board, supervision and monitoring
  • Moderate Intensity Supported Housing
    Care and monitoring provided by someone on a regular basis (even daily) but not constantly available
  • Light Intensity Supported Housing
    Independent living units with support provided through a case manager, or surveillance by landlord, or occasional support worker
  • Family Care Homes

Community Support and Independent Living Services

We support clients to live independent and self-sufficient lives in the community and receive support and/or treatment in their own environment that is appropriate to their needs. 

Dependent on the community in which you live, this can be done in a number of ways.

  • Subsidized housing, rent subsidies and other housing resources
  • Supportive counselling and psycho-education to individuals, groups, and families
  • Psychiatric consultation and review
  • Psycho-social rehabilitation programs
  • Connection with community resources and navigation of healthcare and social systems
  • Occupational therapy for the skills of daily living 
  • Vocational support services
  • Peer support

Often, care plans are developed in collaboration with the client or with support of their family and friends.

The programs we offer are collaborative, strengths-based and person-directed. We want to improve the quality of life for our clients with community integration, recovery support and independent living skills.

Access to Services

Dependent on the area in which you live, you will be able to access our services through your mental health and substance use clinician or via a referral.

Please see the contact us information below to locate further information for your community, you can contact these numbers at any time.

General Information on Housing, Vocational & Independent Living

Referral Required?
Contact Us

Campbell River
Residential Services & Adult Community Support Services
#207–1040 Shoppers Row
Campbell River, B.C.
V9W 2C6
Fax: 250-850-2464

Rehabilitation Program, Adult Community Support Services & Residential Services
941C England Ave
Courtenay, B.C.
V9N 2N7
Fax: 250-331-8525

3088 Gibbins Rd
Duncan, B.C.
V9L 1E8
Fax: 250-709-3045

MHSU Residential Access - collects all applications and referrals to mental health supported housing.
Fax: 250-519-3481
Email MHSUResidentialAccessSI@viha.ca for criteria and referral forms


Bamfield Health Centre

Bamfield Health Centre

353 Bamfield Rd
P.O. Box 40
Bamfield, B.C. 
V0R 1B0


Chemainus Health Care Centre

Chemainus Health Care Centre

9909 Esplanade St
Chemainus, B.C.
V0R 1K1


Cormorant Health Centre

Cormorant Island Health Centre

49 School Rd
Alert Bay, B.C.
V0N 1A0


Learn About

News & Events

Urgent and primary care centre coming to Esquimalt

People living in Esquimalt and neighbouring communities will soon have better access to team-based everyday health care with planning for an urgent and primary care centre.

Read more

British Columbians warned of Salmonella infections

British Columbians warned of Salmonella infections

British Columbia (B.C.) is one of five provinces experiencing an ongoing Salmonella outbreak.

Read more

A passion for public health: meet Mike Benusic, Island Health’s new MHO

A passion for public health: meet Mike Benusic, Island Health’s new MHO

Sometimes life really does come full circle – just ask Mike Benusic.

Read more