Behavioural & Developmental Difficulties

Behavioural & Developmental Difficulties

If you are concerned your child has significant social, behavioural and school problems, you should discuss your concerns with your family doctor. 

Your doctor will make a referral to a pediatrician or other specialist, who may then make the referral for the assessment service.

Before seeing a pediatrician, you may wish to gather information from your child’s school to share with the doctor. This may include reports from school psychologists, counsellors, occupational or speech-language therapists, teachers or learning assistance programs. 

VICAN is only able to assess children and youth who have already used some local services and are having significant difficulty in school, with friends, and at home. Any information you have will help the pediatrician determine what is the appropriate next step.

Assessment Process

Once the referral is received and eligibility for service determined, a staff member will contact you to schedule appointments. 

Your child will be assessed by a specialized multidisciplinary team, so several appointment dates may be required. 

Before the appointment dates, a social worker or other service coordinator will contact you for more information and to answer any questions you may have. 

You will be asked to provide any information you may already have about your child, such as school reports, school psychologist evaluations, speech-language or occupational therapy reports. You may also be asked to complete questionnaires about your child’s development.

Depending on where you live, the assessment may take place over a few days or a few weeks, but the specialized team involved will be similar:  a developmental pediatrician or psychiatrist, psychologist, speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist, and social worker or other service coordinator.

When the assessment process is completed, the information will be shared with you along with any suggestions for interventions, strategies, future planning, or referrals to other agencies or services that may be useful. 

Opportunities may be available for school meetings or other information sharing, depending on each situation.

General Information on Behavioural & Developmental Difficulties

Referral Required?
How to Get Referral

Referrals for evaluation of developmental conditions such as FASD or other significant and complex needs are accepted only from medical specialists such as pediatricians or psychiatrists.

Preparing for Your Visit

Before the appointment dates, a social worker or other service coordinator will contact you for more information and to answer any questions you may have. 

Contact Us

General Inquiries:

Referral Inquiries (including questions about the waitlist):

Toll Free: 1.877.238.0846
Fax: 250.519.6931

Queen Alexandra Centre for Children's Health
2400 Arbutus Rd
Victoria BC  V8N 1V7

VICAN Coordinator, Heather Fox


Ladysmith Community Health Centre

Ladysmith Community Health Centre

1111-4th Avenue
PO Box 10
Ladysmith, B.C. 
V9G 1A1



Queen Alexandra Centre for Children's Health

2400 Arbutus Rd
Victoria, B.C.
V8N 1V7



Sointula Health Centre

#25 - 2nd St
Sointula, B.C. 
V0P 2E0


Learn About

News & Events

Code Hack 2020

Code Hack is back!

Are you ready for an exciting challenge that could help shape the future of health care? Island Health is looking for 100 people to participate in a 24-hour design sprint that aims to generate fresh ideas to improve health care.

Read more

Women hugging holding yoga mats

Island Health Magazine Winter 2020

The Winter 2020 issue of Island Health magazine encourages readers to live their healthiest life. Read features on how to keep your resolutions; re-thinking “diets” and some delicious soup recipes. Also included in this issue are articles about the stigma of mental illness and an Island Health Research project on dementia.

Read more

port alice

Temporary service reduction at Port Alice Health Centre

Island Health is advising that, despite significant effort to fill shifts, there is a temporary shortage of registered nurses and physicians over the holiday season resulting in a temporary service reduction at the Port Alice Health Centre.

Read more