From age 5 years to the start of adolescence, your child’s development slows and the school years follow a steady path of growing and learning.
In this section, you will find information about health, safety, development and learning for children during this stage.
Information for Parents
Island Health offers programs to promote optimal health and learning for children during their school years. Parents can contact their local public health unit for information about the following services offered to school-aged children:
For more information about your child’s health, contact your local public health unit.
Information for School Communities
- Generation Health is a fun, interactive and free family program for families with children aged 8 to 12 who want to be on a healthy lifestyle path. Register today and join other families and learn to make changes leading to a healthier family.
- Growth and Development 6 to 10 Years - HealthLink BC
Around the age of five, your child will enter school or begin more structured learning at home. As a parent, you will still be a key contributor to your child’s learning.
- continue to read aloud to your child every day
- make sure your child has access to lots of books and magazines at home or from your local library
- encourage them to read to themselves as much as they can
- if your child’s learning is mostly done outside of your home, get involved by volunteering at her school and helping with homework
- encourage curiosity and imagination as part of everyday life
- give your time and attention to your child’s interests and hobbies
- capture “teachable moments” each day and use them to show your child that learning is exciting and that it can happen anywhere, anytime
- model learning in your own life
- read, take courses and show your own curiosity in new things
- visit museums, art galleries, construction sites, tide pools, gardens, factories, farms, libraries, government buildings, plays, and airports
- go anywhere your child can glimpse and interact with the adult world, get inspired, or learn something new