Paul Winston MD BSc FRCP(C)
2017-2020 President of the Canadian Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Medical Director for Rehabilitation and Transitions, Island Health, Victoria BC
Co-Founder Canadian Advances in Neuro-Orthopedics for Spasticity Congress www.canosc.com
Clinical Associate Professor UBC and the Island Medical Program
UBC Multiple Sclerosis Clinic physician.
Paul Winston is the Medical Director of Rehabilitation and Transitions at Island Health.
Dr. Winston is a physiatrist, and conducts research on spasticity, spinal cord and nerve injury, and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome through the Victoria Peripheral Nerve and Spasticity Clinic.
- Jamroz A, Berger M, and Winston P. Prednisone for Acute Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Pain Research and Management, Volume 2020, 25 Feb. 2020.
- Liang K. E., Ngo, P. V., & Winston, P. (2020). Access to Focal Spasticity Care : A Cross Canada Survey of Physiatrists. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1–13.
- Ruiz-Peters, M., Winston, P., & Krauss, E. M. (2020). Perioperative Weakness. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Winston, P., & Bakker, D. (2020). Ischemic monomelic neuropathy. The case for re-introducing a little-known term. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1-10.
- Winston, Paul, et al. “Cryoneurotomy as a Percutaneous Mini-Invasive Therapy for the Treatment of the Spastic Limb: Case Presentation, Review of the Literature and Proposed Approach for Use.” Archives of Rehabilitation Research and Clinical Translation, Oct. 2019, p. 100030, doi:10.1016/j.arrct.2019.100030
Select Invited Presentations
- Step-UP Physiotherapy Conference. Invited lecturer. Vancouver 2016.
- Time = contracture formation. Early intervention as a medical necessity through case-based examples. International Panel with J Wissel and J Jacinto. International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM), Paris 2018.
- Adjunctive Therapies following Botulinum Toxin injection in spasticity management: an evidence-based workshop. International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM), Paris 2018.
- Management of Acute Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. WorkSafe BC. September 2018.
- Neuroplasticity, novel innovation in spasticity with Francois Genet and Franco Molteni. Chair. International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM), Kobe 2019.
- Cryoneurotomy for spasticity. Co-Presenting introduction. Symposium of Neuro-Orthopedics, Versailles 2019.
Grants and Awards
- Medical Student Research Award 2019, Canadian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Principle Investigator Andrew Jamroz. “Prednisone for Acute Management of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. A retrospective case series.”
- Island Health Evidence-into-Practice Silver Medal and People’s Choice Awards, 2018. “Using evidence to build a world-leading hub for the management of spasticity.” ($500)
- South Island Facilities Engagement Initiative Project, 2018. “Conquering Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.” ($10,000)
- South Island Facilities Engagement Initiative Project, 2018. “Creating a world-leading centre in novel treatment of spasticity through collaborative care.” ($10,000)
- Unrestricted grant from Allergan Canada, 2018. Creation of a spasticity outcome platform with the CanAssist at the University of Victoria. ($30,000)
- First Prize, Case Report Oral Presentation. Canadian Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Whitehorse 2018.