MD BSc FRCP(C)
- 2017-2020 President of the Canadian Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Medical Director for Rehabilitation and Transitions, Island Health, Victoria BC
- Co-Founder Canadian Advances in Neuro-Orthopedics for Spasticity Congress www.canosc.com
- Clinical Associate Professor UBC and the Island Medical Program
- UBC Multiple Sclerosis Clinic physician
Paul Winston is the Medical Director of Rehabilitation and Transitions at Island Health.
Dr. Winston is a physiatrist, and conducts research on spasticity, spinal cord and nerve injury, and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome through the Victoria Peripheral Nerve and Spasticity Clinic.
- Chen, N., Prescott, A., & Winston, P. (2022). Access to neurorehabilitation interdisciplinary outpatient programs in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1-10. doi:10.1017/cjn.2022.37
- Loy E, Scheidler A, Packham T, Dow H, Winston P. Patient Satisfaction with Virtual Evaluation, Diagnosis and Treatment of CRPS.
- Salga M, Gatin L, Deltombe T, Gustin T, Carda S, Marque P, et al. International recommendations to manage post-stroke Equinovarus Foot deformity validated by a panel of experts using DELPHI. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation [Internet]. 2022 Aug
K. E., Ngo, P. V., & Winston, P. (2020). Access to Focal Spasticity Care : A Cross Canada Survey of Physiatrists. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1017/cjn.2020.108
- Winston, Paul MD1,2; Hashemi, Mahdis MD2; Vincent, Daniel MD2,3 Ultrasound with e-stimulation diagnostic nerve blocks for targeted muscle selection in spasticity, American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation: July 13, 2021.
- Woo, E., Kumbhare, D., & Winston, P. (2020). Canadian Journal of Pain Revue canadienne de la douleur Incapacitating Pain from Tenofovir Induced Hypophosphatemic Osteomalacia in a Hemophilia Patient-A Case Report. Canadian Journal of Pain, 0, 24740527.2020.1838890. https://doi.org/10.1080/24740527.2020.1838890
- Rubenstein, Jonathan1; Harvey, Alexandra W.1; Vincent, Daniel MD1,2; Winston, Paul1,3 Cryoneurotomy to reduce spasticity and improve range of motion in spastic flexed elbow. A
- Jamroz A, Berger M, and Winston P. Prednisone for Acute Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Pain Research and Management, Volume 2020, 25 Feb. 2020.
- Liang K. E., Ngo, P. V., & Winston, P. (2020). Access to Focal Spasticity Care : A Cross Canada Survey of Physiatrists. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1–13.
- Ruiz-Peters, M., Winston, P., & Krauss, E. M. (2020). Perioperative Weakness. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Winston, P., & Bakker, D. (2020). Ischemic monomelic neuropathy. The case for re-introducing a little-known term. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1-10.
Select Invited Presentations
- Adjunctive Therapies following Botulinum Toxin injection in spasticity management: an evidence-based workshop. International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM), Paris 2018.
- Neuroplasticity, novel innovation in spasticity with Francois Genet and Franco Molteni. Chair. International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM), Kobe 2019.
- Cryoneurotomy for spasticity. Co-Presenting introduction. Symposium of Neuro-Orthopedics, Versailles 2019.
- ISPRM 2020 Orlando.
- Costa Rica PMR society. Cryoneurotomy. July 2020.
- Entretiens de Médecine Physique et de Réadaptation: EMPR. Cryoneurotomy. French presentation for French PMR society. July 2020.
- World Federation of Neurorehabilitation. Section Chair and Presenter. Lyons, France. October 7, 2020.
Grants and Awards
- 2022 International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM) Haim Ring Award for CANOSC (co-founder)
- 2022 UBC Department of Medicine’s Honour Roll for Clinical Teaching Excellence
- 2021 Canadian Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Award of Merit
- 2021 British Columbia Patient Safety and Quality Council Award for Everyday Champion
- 2021 University of British Columbia Innovation in Continuing Medical Education and Continuous Professional Development Award
- 2021 Island Health Evidence into Practice Silver Medal Award: Ultrasound Guided Diagnostic Nerve Blocks: Uniting and Revolutionizing the global landscape for spasticity management
- 2020 Island Health Evidence into Practice Gold Medal Award: Rapid triage and diagnosis of complex regional pain syndrome I and II; halting long term disability
- 2020 South Island Medical Staff Association Award for Innovation Leadership
- 2020 Canadian Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Second Place Honourable Mention, Paper of the Year
- 2018 Island Health Evidence-into-Practice Silver Medal and People’s Choice Awards: Using evidence to build a world-leading hub for the management of spasticity
- 2018 South Island Facilities Engagement Initiative Project: Conquering Complex Regional Pain Syndrome ($10,000)
- 2018 South Island Facilities Engagement Initiative Project: Creating a world-leading centre in novel treatment of spasticity through collaborative care ($10,000)
- 2018 Allergan Canada Grant: Creation of a spasticity outcome platform with the CanAssist at the University of Victoria ($30,000)