BSc(Pharm), ACPR, PharmD, FCSHP
Regional Manager, Clinical Pharmacy Services, Island Health
Clinical Associate Professor - University of British Columbia
Adjunct Assistant Professor - University of Victoria, Health Information Sciences
Dr. Spina is the principal investigator for the Alternatives to Traditional Hospital Care Offered in Monitored Environments (AT-HOME) research team where he focuses his research on evaluating the impact of incorporating technology into clinical practice.
- Hospital at Home
- Patients’ and Family Caregivers’ Experiences with a Newly Implemented Hospital at Home Program in British Columbia, Canada | Poster
- Investigation of the impact of a Pharmacist in a Hospital At home Care Team (IN PHACT) | Poster
- Engaging Patients and Families as Partners: A Canadian Approach to Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating Hospital at Home| Poster
- Impact of pharmacist-led standardized medication teaching videos on patient and clinician experience| Poster
- Investigation into the Cleaning Methods of Smartphones and Wearables from Infectious Contamination in a Patient Care Environment (I-SWIPE) | Poster
- Secure Messaging and Clinical Communication Solution (SMaCCS) Trial | Poster
- Integrating Smartphone Communication Strategy and Technology into Clinical Pharmacy Practice | Poster
- Spina SP, Hainstock T, Haddadi R et al. Engaging patients and families in developing, implementing, and evaluating hospital at home: A Canadian case study. Patient Experience Journal. 2022; 9(1):217-226.
- Patrick M, Harder CK, Spina SP. Hospital at Home: The Role for Clinical Pharmacists in an Innovative Acute Care Model in British Columbia. Canadian Pharmacists Journal 2022;155:1
- Spina SP, Atwood KM, Loewen P. Evaluation of Secure Mobile and Clinical Communication Solution (SMaCCS) across acute and community practice settings. BMJ Innovations 2020;0: 1–8.
- Chan, S., Spina, S.P., Zuk, D.M. et al. Hospital pharmacists understanding of available health literacy assessment tools and their perceived barriers for incorporation in patient education – a survey study. BMC Health Serv Res 20, 401 (2020).
- Huffman S, Webb C, Spina, SP. Investigation into the Cleaning Methods of Smartphones and Wearables from Infectious Contamination in a Patient Care Environment (I-SWIPE). AJIC: American Journal of Infection Control, 2020-05-01, Volume 48, Issue 5, Pages 545-549
- Webb C, Spina SP, Young S. Integrating smartphone communication strategy and technology into clinical practice: A mixed methods research study. Health Policy and Technology 2016; 5: pp 370 - 375.
- Lo E, Rainkie D, Forbes DA, Spina SP et al. Measurement of Clinical Pharmacy Key Performance Indicators to Focus and Improve Your Hospital Pharmacy Practice CJHP 2016; 69:149-155.
- Power JMH, Spina SP, Forbes DA et al. Integration of Smartphones into Clinical Pharmacy Practice: An Evaluation of the Impact on Pharmacists’ Efficiency. Health Policy and Technology 2014; 3.
- Cartwright AL, Spina SP. Smartphones in clinical pharmacy practice: Is it evidence-based? Health Policy and Technology 2014;3:85-89.
- Lorimer H, Lalli SL, Spina SP, Pharmacy Practice Model Redesign at a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. CJHP 2013; 66(1):28-34.
Honours and Awards
- CSHP National 2023 Excellence in Pharmacy Practice – Interprofessional Collaboration. “INvestigation of the impact of a Pharmacist in a Hospital At Home Care Team (IN PHACT)” March 2023, Banff, Alberta, Canada
- 2022 Excellence in Patient Experience Award for Hospital at Home by Canadian College of Health Leader– June 2022
- Health Employers Association of British Columbia; Excellence in BC Health Care Award; Award of Merit recipient in the Workplace Health Innovation – January 2021
- Health Employers Association of British Columbia; Excellence in BC Health Care Award; Award of Merit recipient in the Workplace Health Innovation category February 2021
- Caring Greatly™ podcast “Episode 6”. Apple Podcasts, September 2019.
- Nominated for Canadian Health Informatics Leader of the Year Award, Digital Health Canada 2019.
- Intelligent Health Association Award: 2018 IHA Improving Patient Care and Health Delivery / Honorable Mention, HIMSS2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Health Employers Association of British Columbia; Excellence in BC Health Care Award; Top Innovation - Health Authority – June 2017.
- CSHP National Management and Leadership Best Practices Award: “Assessment of the impact of pharmacy learners on essential patient care processes” February 2017, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Nominated for 2016 BC Health Care Award “Innovation Award” for smartphone integrated communication strategy project.
- Conferred Fellows (FCSHP) recognition by Recognition Committee of CSHP. Toronto, ON, February 2016.