Sean P. Spina, BSc(Pharm), ACPR, PharmD, FCSHP
Clinical Coordinator - Department of Pharmacy
Clinical Associate Professor - University of British Columbia
Adjunct Assistant Professor - University of Victoria, Health Information Sciences
Clinical Instructor – Langara College
Dr. Spina is the Coordinator of Clinical Pharmacy Services at Royal Jubilee Hospital where he focuses his research on evaluating the impact of incorporating technology into clinical practice.
• Putting patients in the driver’s seat: Empowering patients to receive medical knowledge through the use of bedside technology
• Investigation into the Cleaning Methods of Smartphones and Wearables from Infectious Contamination in a Patient Care Environment (I-SWIPE). Poster
• Secure Messaging and Clinical Communication Solution (SMaCCS) Trial. Poster
• Huffman S, Webb C, Spina, SP. Investigation into the Cleaning Methods of Smartphones and Wearables from Infectious Contamination in a Patient Care Environment (I-SWIPE). American Journal of Infection Control (AJIC): 2019 In Progress.
• Webb C, Spina SP, Young S. Integrating smartphone communication strategy and technology into clinical practice: A mixed methods research study. Health Policy and Technology 2016; 5: pp 370 - 375.
• Lo E, Rainkie D, Forbes DA, Spina SP et al. Measurement of Clinical Pharmacy Key Performance Indicators to Focus and Improve Your Hospital Pharmacy Practice
CJHP 2016; 69:149-155.
• Power JMH, Spina SP, Forbes DA et al. Integration of Smartphones into Clinical Pharmacy Practice: An Evaluation of the Impact on Pharmacists’ Efficiency. Health Policy and Technology 2014; 3.
• Cartwright AL, Spina SP. Smartphones in clinical pharmacy practice: Is it evidence-based? Health Policy and Technology 2014;3:85-89.
• Lorimer H, Lalli SL, Spina SP, Pharmacy Practice Model Redesign at a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. CJHP 2013; 66(1):28-34.
Honours and Awards
• Caring Greatly™ podcast “Episode 6”. Apple Podcasts, September 2019.
• Nominated for Canadian Health Informatics Leader of the Year Award, Digital Health Canada 2019.
• Intelligent Health Association Award: 2018 IHA Improving Patient Care and Health Delivery / Honorable Mention, HIMSS2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
• Health Employers Association of British Columbia; Excellence in BC Health Care Award; Top Innovation - Health Authority – June 2017.
• CSHP National Management and Leadership Best Practices Award: “Assessment of the impact of pharmacy learners on essential patient care processes” February 2017, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
• Nominated for 2016 BC Health Care Award “Innovation Award” for smartphone integrated communication strategy project.
• Conferred Fellows (FCSHP) recognition by Recognition Committee of CSHP. Toronto, ON, February 2016.
2017 Excellence in BC Health Care Awards: Top Innovation
2012 Excellence in BC Health Care Awards: Health Care Hero