In the province of British Columbia there is legislation to protect adults and children receiving care in licensed residential community care facilities.
For more information about an inspection visit the Inspection and Investigation Reports website .
Individuals providing care to more than two individuals, not related to them, are required to be licensed, and to provide care in a licensed setting.
Licensed residential care types include:
- Acquired Injury
- Child and Youth Residential
- Community Living
- Hospice Care
- Long Term Care
- Mental Health
- Substance Use
Licensed Care is:
- a community care facility that provides assistance or direction in the form of three (3) or more prescribed services to a person.
- individuals providing care to more than two persons, not related to them who require three (3) or more prescribed services, are required to be licensed, and must provide care in a licensed community care facility
Prescribed services are defined in the Community Care and Assisted Living Regulation as:
- regular assistance with activities of daily living, including eating, mobility, dressing, grooming, bathing or personal hygiene
- central storage of medication, distribution of medication, administering medication or monitoring the taking of medication
- maintenance or management of the cash resources or other property of a resident or person in care
- monitoring of food intake or of adherence to therapeutic diets
- structured behaviour management and intervention
- psychosocial rehabilitative therapy or intensive physical rehabilitative therapy
Licensing Officers inspect, license and monitor over 200 licensed residential care facilities in Island Health.
- Director of Licensing Standards of Practice
Standards of Practice PDFs:
Advance Directives and Care Plans
Agreement in Writing to the Use of Restraints
Immunization of Adult Persons in Residential Care
Incident Reporting of Aggressive of Unusual Behaviour in Adult Residential Care Facilities Preventing Overdose Deaths
Contact your local Licensing Office
- Inspection Checklists
Residential Care Newsletters
Residential Care Bulletin
Submitting Reportable Incidents Online
For current information about submitting incident reports, please see Incident Reporting.