The Mental Health & Substance Use (MHSU) TeleMental Health Program provides consultative psychiatric care to patients in areas that typically experience long wait times or do not have access to local psychiatry services.
Typical TeleMental Health and Substance Use consults could include: medication reviews, substance use screening, assessment, diagnosis and intervention.
Benefit to patients:
- Decreased travel time/cost compared to an in-person consult
- Easier to have family or other local support attend with the patient
Benefit to referring physician:
- Access to Psychiatric consults for Children and Youth
- A dictated report from a Child & Youth Psychiatrist to clarify diagnosis and establish a treatment plan
Is this a crisis service? No.
This program provides consultative services only, where clarification of diagnosis and a proposed treatment plan is desired (Usually a one-time appointment).
- TeleMental Health Brochure for Children and Youth
- TeleMental Health Brochure for Parents and Guardians
Chemainus, Cobble Hill, Cowichan Bay, Crofton, Duncan, Gold River, Lady Smith, Lake Cowichan, Lantzville, Malahat, Mill Bay, Parksville, Port Alberni, Qualicum Beach, Shawnigan Lake, Shirley, Sooke, Tofino, Ucluelet
Services may be available in the following communities:
- Black Creek & Campbell River
- If the child/youth is connected to the Foundry in Campbell River psychiatry services are requested/faxed via the Foundry, not TeleMental Health.
- Comox, Port Hardy, Port McNeill & Sointula
- If the child/youth is connected with MCFD in Comox, Port Hardy or Port McNeill psychiatry services are requested/faxed via the MCFD Office, not TeleMental Health.
- Tofino & Ucluelet
- If the Child/Youth is connected with MCFD in Tofino or Ucluelet - psychiatry referrals for services are requested/faxed to the MCFD Office, not TeleMental Health.
General Information on Child & Youth TeleMental Health Service
Referring Physician’s role
- Determine patient suitability for receiving service via TeleHealth
- i.e. Patient/Parent willingness to use TeleHealth, patient not acutely ill with psychosis or active suicidal thinking
- Physician faxes a Child & Youth TeleMental Health Referral Form to Island Health’s TeleMental Health Services requesting a Child Psychiatric consultation, noting relevant background on the patient, contact information for the Legal Guardian, and a clear referral question
- Your referral will be reviewed and if the service is confirmed to be suitable for the patient’s situation, Island Health’s TeleMental Health Service staff will contact the Legal Guardian to book a consult
- A letter will be faxed to your office to notify you of the booked appointment
- Consent, Family, and School Forms are required to be completed prior to booking the appointment, and will be sent to the Legal Guardian.
- The Legal Guardian will be directed to submit their completed forms to the referring doctor’s office (if they do not have access to a fax machine themselves)
- We appreciate you then faxing the forms to TeleMental Health Service Fax # 250-519-3545
- To be submitted via the Child/Youth's GP or Pediatrician.