Please note that all programs have been cancelled until further notice.
Please check back at a later date for further information. For COVID-19 information, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19
The P.A.R.T.Y. (Prevent Alcohol and Risk Related Trauma in Youth) Program is a dynamic, interactive injury prevention program for teenagers.
P.A.R.T.Y. was developed in 1986 at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Ontario through a request from a group of youth.
As of June 2012, there are over 100 sites around the world, seventy-two if which are operating in Canada, with the remainder of the sites in the United States, Australia, Brazil, Japan and Germany.
About the Island Health P.A.R.T.Y. Program
The P.A.R.T.Y. Program is offered to grade 10 students at 10 sites across the Island Health region, who tour the hospital to learn about real life physical trauma from those who witness it first-hand.
The students meet volunteers from various health care and related professions (such as BCAS and RCMP) and crash survivors as they experience the pathway of a seriously injured patient, from the crash site through to rehabilitation.
This reality education provides information to young people that will enable the participants to recognize potential injury producing situations, to make informed choices and to adopt behaviours that minimize injury risk. The purpose of the program is to educate teens about what is safe, taking personal responsibility, and making smart choices.
Students learn that crashes are not accidents and that traumatic injury can be prevented. They learn the consequences of not wearing a seat belt, operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, speeding, and distracted driving—consequences such as permanent brain or spinal cord injury, burns, paralysis and death.
- P.A.R.T.Y. Annual Report 2018-2019
- TELUS donates $20,000 to P.A.R.T.Y
- P.A.R.T.Y. Program Video 2016
- P.A.R.T.Y. Program Overview
- P.A.R.T.Y. Program Parents Guide
- P.A.R.T.Y. Program Video 2013
- Parent Information Letter - South Island
- Parent Information Letter - Central/North Island
Participating P.A.R.T.Y. Program locations
- Victoria General Hospital*
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
- Cowichan District Hospital*
- St. Joseph's General Hospital
- Campbell River Hospital
- West Coast General Hospital
- Lady Minto Hospital*
- Port McNeill Hospital
- Port Hardy Hospital
- Tofino General Hospital
- Gold River Health Centre
*South Island sites. All others are Central/North Island
Help Support P.A.R.T.Y.
The P.A.R.T.Y. Program is run entirely by volunteers and is not possible without our sponsors and program partners.
The P.A.R.T.Y. Program is always looking for passionate, energetic volunteers to add to our team! Please contact either Sarah Yee (South Island sites*) or Kevin Vowles (Central/North Island sites**) for more information
*South Island sites include Victoria General Hospital, Cowichan District Hospital, and Lady Minto Hospital.
**Central/North Island sites include Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, Comox Valley Hospital, Campbell River General Hospital, Gold River Health Centre, West Coast General Hospital, Port McNeill Hospital, Port Hardy Hospital and Tofino General Hospital.
- Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
- Nanaimo Daybreak Rotary Club
- Evening Optimist Club of Victoria
- Local community businesses and private donations
- Island Health
- Nanaimo and District Hospital Foundation
- Nanaimo Daybreak Rotary Club
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- British Columbia Emergency Health Services (BCEHS)
- Vancouver Island University (VIU) (Nanaimo)
- Victoria Police Department
- Oak Bay Police Department
- Saanich Police Department
- Central Saanich Police Department
- Costco Wholesale (Langford)
- Costco Wholesale (Courtenay)
- Country Grocer (Nanaimo)
- Real Canadian Superstore (Nanaimo)
- Victoria Brain Injury Society
- Campbell River Head Injury Society
- Comox Valley Head Injury Society
- Young Drivers of Canada (Campbell River)
- Pacific Rim Driving School (Port Alberni)
- Eagle Eye Towing (Victoria)
- Tiger Towing (Duncan)
- Alberni Towing (Port Alberni)
- Dunn Right Towing and Recovery (Comox Valley)
- Me & Ron's Towing (Salt Spring Island)
- Schnitzer (Nanaimo)
- Long Beach Auto (Tofino)
- View Royal Fire Rescue
- Comox Fire Rescue
- Salt Spring Island Fire Rescue
- Panago Pizza (Victoria and Nanaimo)
- RCMP Foundation
- Arbour Memorial (Nanaimo)
- Dignity Memorial (Campbell River and Comox)
- Sands Funderal Chapel-Arbour Memorial (Duncan)
- First Memorial Funeral Services (Victoria)
- Superstore (Duncan)
- HB Towing (Nanaimo)
- Boris Mobile Mechanic (Port Hardy)
- Gold River Volunteer Fire and Rescue
- Port McNeill Fire Rescue
Interested in Donating?
The P.A.R.T.Y. Program is funded through the generous support of businesses, schools, communities, and individuals. Please contact Sarah Yee or Kevin Vowles (below) if you are interested in making a donation or becoming a partner to the P.A.R.T.Y. Program.
General Information on Prevent Alcohol & Risk Related Trauma in Youth (P.A.R.T.Y.)
Sarah Yee - Injury & Violence Prevention Consultant (South Island)
Kevin Vowles - Injury & Violence Prevention Consultant (Central/North Island)
250-755-7691 ext. 52412
John-Marc Priest - Regional Trauma Services Manager
Julie Malone - Administrative Assistant, Trauma Services