Take BC Transit #8 or #11 bus
Access to subsidized long-term care is coordinated by Island Health staff.
Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized long-term care. For more information on subsidized long-term care, contact an Island Health Community Health Services office near you.
For information on private long-term care, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
63 Gorge Rd East
Main line: 250-519-3500 | Water View Unit: 250-519-3514 | Arbutus View Unit: 250-519-3510
To reduce spread of COVID-19, each site has a visiting procedure to protect residents, staff, and the public.
Please contact staff to learn more about scheduling a visit.
Gorge Road Hospital received full accreditation for 2018. Accreditation Canada, April 2014 Report.
Accreditation is an external peer review process to assess and improve the services health care organizations provide to their patients and clients, based on standards of excellence set by Accreditation Canada. For more information, visit: http://www.accreditation.ca/.
Publicly-subsidized units: 111
Private-pay units: 0
Gorge Road Hospital, built in 1953, is located at 63 Gorge Road East. Long-term care services are provided on two floors, the Water View Unit and the Arbutus View Unit, of the four-storey building. The building is adjacent to the Gorge Waterway with the rear of the building facing the water. There is a paved walkway along the waterside of the building for residents to enjoy and walk along.
The care home is located in the Gorge neighborhood and is close Tillicum and Mayfair Malls, Fairway Market and many small restaurants and pubs. There are some small hotels in the neighborhood as well.
The facility is located in the Gorge neighbourhood and is close Tillicum and Mayfair Malls, Fairway Market and many small restaurants and pubs. There are some small hotels in the neighbourhood as well.
Philosophy of Care
Model of Medical Care/Physician Organization
This care home operates a CORE Physician model for medical care. CORE stands for Collaboration and Coordination for Residential Excellence. Residents are assigned to a CORE physician on every new admission. CORE physicians attend the care home to provide proactive visits on a regular basis and work collaboratively with care home staff to develop efficient, effective communication processes.
Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD)
MAiD is available at Island Health owned and operated sites. Read more information on MAiD, including brochure for patients and families and a link to information provided by the federal government, is available at MAiD.
Type of Accommodation
• Number of beds in single occupancy rooms: 12
• Number of beds in double occupancy rooms: 6
• Number of beds in triple or quadruple occupancy rooms: 25
Residents pay up to 80% of their after-tax income which covers the cost of food and accommodation. Learn more about additional services available to residents at Gorge Road Hospital.
Special Recreational Opportunities
• Monthly birthday parties on each unit
• Weekly music therapy sessions on each unit
• Bus outings every two weeks
• Christmas bazaar for staff family and residents with a lunch available to purchase
• Outside vendors are invited to attend and sell their products
The facility is fully accessible for clients who require mobility devices (e.g. walkers, wheelchairs, and power chairs). There is an elevator that provides transport between the two floors.
Motorized Scooter Policy
No motorized scooters allowed.
As per Island Health pet policy.
Pets are not permitted to live at the care home. Gorge Road Hospital long-term care welcomes visiting pets and recognizes the importance and value that pets have for many people.
Family members and other visitors who wish to bring in their dog or other pet when visiting a resident should understand the following requirements:
• Visiting pets must be clean, free of fleas, vaccinated, free of open sores, well behaved and quiet
• Visiting dogs must be controlled on leash at all times during their visit and any other type of pet must be carried in the appropriate cage or carrying case
• Visiting pets are not allowed in the dining rooms or any areas where food is prepared
• Visitors with pets that are not meeting these requirements will be asked to remove the pet from the facility immediately
As a health care provider, Island Health has an obligation to promote good health practices. We are committed to ensuring a safe, healthy and clean environment for everyone.
There is no smoking or vaping allowed on any Island Health property. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.
Residents who smoke are required to do so independently or with a personal companion in designated areas off the care home property.
• Secure entrance(s)
• Regular fire inspections / drills
• Fire sprinklers
• Doors secured with magnetic release buttons/keypads
• Secured patio space on each unit
• Close circuit cameras are in place at the entrance as well as the garden patio on Water View Unit
Spiritual Care is available to all residents to assist with emotional and spiritual needs.
Any Other Amenities
• Close to Gorge Waterway
• Street meters
Surface Lots Parking Pay Stations:
$1.25 for each hour
$26.75 for a weekly permit
• Family parking permit available at front desk
• For more parking information, visit the Island Health Parking Services webpage.
During influenza season (typically December-March), to help protect patients from the flu, all visitors will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions and Influenza Protection Policy.
Provincial policy requires all visitors to be informed: "Violence, foul language and abusive behaviors are not acceptable. Verbal threats or acts of violence will not be tolerated and may result in removal from this facility and/or prosecution."
Site tours can be arranged through the social worker on each unit
• Arbutus View Unit: 250-519-3509
• Water View Unit: 250-519-3503