Drinking Water Monitoring & Complaints

Drinking Water Monitoring and Complaints

Monitoring of Community Drinking Water

Environmental Health Officers work with water system operators, municipal governments, public health engineers and others to inspect and monitor community drinking water on a regular basis. 

View water sampling results 

Letters regarding test results for drinking water wells following the September 10, 2020 Schnitzer Steel fire in Cassidy

Environmental Health Officers do not monitor private wells; however, they are available upon request to assess wells and answer questions related to water quality.

For more information, contact Environmental Health.

Complaints About Drinking Water

If you have a complaint or concern about your drinking water, first contact your water supplier.

If you do not know who your water supplier is, or are unsatisfied with the response, please contact your local Environmental Health Office for assistance.

An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will handle your complaint. EHOs have the authority to act as Drinking Water Officers under the Drinking Water Protection Act and Regulations.

To Submit a Complaint

Please provide:

  • Your contact information
  • The name and/or location of the drinking water system in question
  • Details of the complaint 
  • Any other relevant information including any actions you may have taken to address the situation

Complaint Process

  • The information is forwarded to your district EHO
  • The EHO will initiate followup within 1-3 working days
  • The EHO will undertake to resolve your concern and may contact you for more information
  • If your complaint indicates a circumstance that may threaten the safety of your water supply, the EHO will provide information on your right to request a formal investigation under Section 29 of the Drinking Water Protection Act
  • If you do not wish to request a formal investigation, the EHO will still respond to your complaint
  • You will be advised of the action taken by the EHO and any outcomes

Formal Request for Investigation

If you feel that a threat to your drinking water exists, you may consider requesting an investigation under Section 29 of the Drinking Water Protection Act. A “threat” is defined in the Act as a circumstance, condition or thing that may result in water that is unsafe to drink. 

The request must be made in writing and include all the information you have available to support your concerns.
Island Health has adopted the BC Ministry of Health Best Practices on Requests for Investigation of a Drinking Water Threat under the Drinking Water Protection Act.

The document contains a questionairre called  Request for a Section 29 Investigation Under the Drinking Water Protection Act to help you provide as much information as possible to help the Drinking Water Officer make a decision about whether to investigate.

To make a Request for an Investigation:

  • Print the online questionnaire (Interim Best Practices - Request for Investigation)  and fill it out to the best of your ability. Fax, mail or bring the form to your local Environmental Health Office or
  • Call or visit your local Environmental Health Office and ask for assistance

Investigation Process

  • The EHO will review the request and contact you if more information is needed
  • The EHO will consider whether an investigation is warranted
  • You will be advised if the EHO decides against doing an investigation
  • You will be advised of the results of any investigation that the EHO does undertake

News & Events

People unveiling a truth and reconciliation plaque.

Island Health Magazine Fall 2021

Read articles on building resilience in children; how loneliness impacts health; tips and recipes for healthy to-go lunches; information about IBD and a feature about patient partners.

Read more

Large red letters that spell "Emergency" in front of an emergency department

Island Health asks for public’s assistance in appropriate emergency department use

Island Health is asking people to do their part to ensure our hospital emergency departments can continue to meet the care needs of patients experiencing medical emergencies.

Read more

Picture of Ocean at Comox Valley

Island Health rebooking all June 29 COVID-19 immunization appointments at Glacier Gardens in Comox

Due to the extreme heat wave that is currently affecting British Columbia, Island Health is rebooking all COVID-19 immunization appointments that were scheduled on Tuesday, June 29 at Glacier Gardens in Comox. 

Read more