Food Safety

Environmental Health Officers (EHO) conduct more than 7,000 inspections of restaurants, food facilities and stores annually. Find food facility and inspection information.

EHOs educate food handlers and consumers about safe food handling practices.

Opening a Restaurant, Mobile Food Vending Unit or Other Food Premises

Under the Food Premises Regulation, a food premises refers to any place where food intended for public consumption is offered for sale, supplied, handled, prepared, packaged, displayed, served, processed, stored, transported or dispensed.

If you wish to operate a food premises, you must submit an application to the local Health Protection and Environment Services office prior to construction or operation. Operating permits and approvals are not transferrable to new owners.  

Your application package must include:

Application form 
Food Safety Plan
Sanitation Plan
Permit fee 


Food facilities are required to connect to a water system that complies with the Drinking Water Protection Act and Regulations, along with a valid operating permit.


Food facilities also require a waste disposal system in compliance with the appropriate government agency. Your existing system may require review and upgrading. Your local Environmental Health Officer can provide more information.

Permit or Approval to Operate

When a facility is ready to open, the Environmental Health Officer conducts a pre-opening inspection. When compliance with the Food Premises Regulations is achieved, you will be issued a written permit or approval to operate.  


Restaurant operators must hold a valid FOODSAFE certificate or a Food Handlers Training Course. At least one employee present must hold a valid FOODSAFE certificate if the operator is absent.

If you require a replacement FOODSAFE certificate, please call 250-737-2017 or email

All FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued in British Columbia are valid for five years. To recertify, simply retake the FOODSAFE Level 1 course or take the FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher online course.

Temporary Food Markets

To sell lower risk food items at farmers markets and other temporary food markets, you (and market managers) should read the Guidelines for Temporary Food Markets.

To sell  higher risk food items at temporary food markets, you need to complete an application for Sale of Higher Risk Food at Temporary Food Markets and submit it to the local Health Protection and Environmental Services office.

Onsite food preparation is not permitted by market vendors. If onsite food preparation is proposed, approval to operate a temporary food service establishment is required.

To prepare and sell food at public events, you need to fill out an Application to Operate Temporary Food Service. Once completed, please submit to your local Health Protection and Environmental Services Office

Temporary Food Service

To provide food at public events, you need to fill out an Application to Operate Temporary Food Service.

No home food preparation for the public is allowed. An approved commercial kitchen must be used for any preparation done prior to the event. Onsite preparation at the event, when described in the application and found to be accepted by the Environmental Health Officer, will be permitted.

Once you complete your application, please submit it to your local Health Protection and Environmental Services office. A maximum of 14 days per calendar year will be considered for approval. Applications must be submitted at least 14 days prior to the event date or market. 


Food Safety Guidelines and Applications

Guidelines for Food Banks
Guidelines for Temporary Food Concessions Food Prep
Guidelines for Temporary Food Concessions No Food Prep
Temporary Event Coordinator Application
Mechanically Tenderized Beef
Deep Fryers and Frying Oil
Sous Vide Cooking Safety
Mobile Food Premises Guidelines

Consumer Information

Food Recall Warnings (Canadian Food Inspection Agency)
Vancouver Island Inspection Reports
Power Failure Protecting Food Tips 
Healthy Eating Habits (HealthLinkBC)
Recommended precautions for water and food affected by fire retardants 
Shellfish Webmap (BCCDC)
Sea Surface Temperatures Map
Food Premises Guidelines - Vibrio and oyster control
Shellfish Harvesting and Control

Business Information

Ensuring Food Safety - Writing Your Own Safety Plan
Opening a Food Service Establishment
Monthly Temperature Log Sheet
BC Meat Inspection Licensing (Slaughterhouse)
Food Protection (Vital to Your Business)
MOH Food Protection   


Wash Your Hands
No Smoking
No Animals
Employees Only
Three-Sink Dishwashing Method
Help us Help you 

News & Events

parking sign

Pay parking resumes March 4, 2022

Effective March 4, 2022, pay parking will resume at all Island Health sites that previously had pay parking in place. 

Read more

Caring for the Vulnerable

Caring for the Vulnerable

Healthcare professionals provide care in many settings, including hospitals, clinics, schools and people’s homes, but for those individuals who don’t have a fixed address and require care, some community health services staff go to them. 

Read more

People unveiling a truth and reconciliation plaque.

Island Health Magazine Fall 2021

Read articles on building resilience in children; how loneliness impacts health; tips and recipes for healthy to-go lunches; information about IBD and a feature about patient partners.

Read more