Are you interested in an exciting and challenging volunteer role?
Are you in high school looking for experience toward a career in health care?
Island Health's Step Up Youth Program is for you!
This unique program offers high school students aged 15 - 18 an opportunity to Step Up and:
- Practice Island Health's C.A.R.E. values (Courage, Aspire, Respect, and Empathy)
- Learn about clinical and non-clinical careers in health care
- Lead by sharing ideas and leading projects.
INTAKE FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR HAS OFFICIALLY CLOSED!
Updated October 2022
We are pleased to announce that we have launched our popular Step Up Youth Program for the 2022-2023 school year!
Intake for the 2022-23 for the following location is still open:
- Eagle Ridge Manor, Port Hardy *please contact StepUpYouth@islandhealth.ca for more information
Intake for the 2022-23 for the following locations is closed:
- Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria
- The Summit (Long-Term Care), Victoria
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital, Saanichton
- Lady Minto Hospital, Salt Spring Island
- Cowichan District Hospital, Duncan
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital / Dufferin (Long-Term Care), Nanaimo
- West Coast General Hospital, Port Alberni
About the Step Up Youth Program:
- This unique program is for youth 15-18 years of age.
- No exceptions currently for those younger than 15. Applicants must turn 15 prior to the start of the program.
- Commitment is generally one 2-hour shift once a week, after school, for the duration of the school year (September to April).
- Volunteer duties will vary based on location and each facility’s needs.
How to Apply:
The next intake for the Step Up Youth Program will be in Spring 2023 for a Fall 2023 program start.
Please check back on this page in Spring 2023 to complete an application.
The Volunteer Resources & Engagement team