Are you interested in an exciting and challenging volunteer role?
Are you in high school looking for experience toward a career in health care?
Island Health's Step Up Youth Program is for you!
This unique program offers high school students aged 15 - 18 an opportunity to Step Up and:
- Practice Island Health's C.A.R.E. values (Courage, Aspire, Respect, and Empathy)
- Learn about clinical and non-clinical careers in health care
- Lead by sharing ideas and leading projects.
RECRUITMENT FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR WILL OPEN SHORTLY
Updated May 2022
We will be re-starting our popular Step Up Youth Program for the 2022-23 school year, slated to begin this coming fall.
Applications will be open soon!
We will be recruiting for a limited number of volunteer positions for the following Island Health Facilities:
- Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria
- The Summit (Long Term Care), Victoria
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital, Saanichton
- Cowichan District Hospital, Duncan
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, Nanaimo
- West Coast General Hospital, Port Alberni
- Port Hardy and area
In future years, we hope to expand the program, but capacity is limited for the upcoming school year as we all get back to our new normal.
- The program is for youth 15-18 years of age
- (no exceptions currently for those younger than 15. Applicants must turn 15 prior to the start of the program)
- Commitment is generally one 2-hour shift once a week, after school, for the duration of the school year (September to April)
- Volunteer duties will vary based on location and each facility’s needs.
How to Apply:
Please check back to this webpage for the most up-to-date information. We will have Step Up Youth Program applications live soon.
- The Volunteer Resources & Engagement team