Are you interested in an exciting and challenging volunteer role?
Are you in high school looking for experience toward a career in healthcare?
Island Health's Step Up Youth Program is for you!
This unique program offers high school students aged 15 - 18 an opportunity to Step Up and:
- Practice Island Health's C.A.R.E. values (Courage, Aspire, Respect, and Empathy)
- Learn about clinical and non-clinical careers in healthcare.
- Lead by sharing ideas and leading projects.
General applications for Fall 2023 are now closed. However, we are still recruiting for the following locations:
Updated July 17, 2023
We are recruiting for the following locations:
Port Hardy – Eagle Ridge Manor
Port Alberni – West Coast General Hospital
Tofino – Tofino General Hospital
Salt Spring Island – Lady Minto Hospital
About the Step Up Youth Program:
- This unique program is for youth 15-18 years of age.
- No exceptions - Applicants must turn 15 prior to the start of the program.
- The program runs from September – April.
- Commitment is typically one 2-hour shift per week, after school or on weekends.
- The volunteer role is centred on providing social engagement support to patients and residents. Additional duties vary by location.
- Volunteers are given the opportunity to work together on special projects, hear from a variety of guest speakers, and learn about different careers in healthcare.
How to Apply:
General applications for Fall 2023 intake are now closed, however we are still seeking volunteers for our Port Hardy, Salt Spring, Port Alberni, and Tofino locations.
Please email StepUpYouth@Islandhealth.ca for a link to the application.
For all others, please check back in Spring 2024 for the Fall 2024 application.