Access to subsidized long-term care is coordinated by Island Health staff.
Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized long-term care. For more information on subsidized long-term care, contact an Island Health Community Health Services office near you.
For information on private long-term care, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
135 Crofton Rd
Salt Spring Island, B.C.
No restrictions on visiting hours.
Accreditation Canada, April 2014 Report.
Accreditation is an external peer review process to assess and improve the services health care organizations provide to their patients and clients, based on standards of excellence set by Accreditation Canada. For more information, visit: http://www.accreditation.ca/.
Publicly Subsidized Units: 29
Private-Pay Units: 0
There are beautiful gardens around the building.
Visiting services include: hairdresser, dental hygienist, foot care nurse and church services.
Salt Spring Island has a thriving artistic community. Geographically, the ECU is somewhat removed from the town of Ganges, although there is a small shopping area with grocery store, drugstore, thrift store and restaurants two blocks from the hospital.
Language, Culture or Religious Affiliation
Philosophy of Care
As per Island Health Vision, Purpose and Values.
- we believe that each resident should be encouraged and helped to attain the highest level of ability and self-care that is possible for him/her to achieve
- we believe that resident participation in activities assists them in maintaining social, physical, psychological, cognitive and spiritual wellbeing
- we accept each resident as an individual and strive to reflect this on care plans
- we recognize the value of a cooperative group effort, including residents, families, staff and volunteers.
- we strive for a safe, homelike environment to which the resident and family feel a sense of belonging
- the environment on the unit will promote sharing and pursuing knowledge related to the continuing care of the elderly
- as members of the palliative care team at Lady Minto Hospital, all Long-Term Care staff participate in a palliative approach to end of life care
Type of Accommodation
Units are shared with either two-beds or four-beds. There is one single room with an outside patio area; this room is used for palliative care.
All rooms in the ECU area have ceiling lifts. Two of the beds are situated on the Acute Care Unit.
Residents pay up to 80% of their after tax income which covers the cost of food and accommodation.
Special Recreational Opportunities
- art therapy
- music therapy
- physio, kinesiology and acupuncture are specialist services that can be requested and paid for privately
- meal outings
- friendly visitors
The facility is fully wheelchair accessible.
Motorized Scooter Policy
Scooters are primarily kept to outdoor use. This can be discussed on a case by case basis.
As per Island Health policy. Pet visitation occurs by prior arrangement.
As a health care provider, Island Health has an obligation to promote good health practices. We are committed to ensuring a safe, healthy and clean environment for everyone.
Smoking and vaping is not permitted on any Island Health property. This includes all buildings, grounds and parking lots.
There is no smoking anywhere on the hospital property.
All internal doors to the unit and external gates are keypad entry.
Parking is free but limited.
During influenza season (typically December-March), to help protect patients from the flu, all visitors will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions and Influenza Protection Policy.
Provincial policy requires all visitors to be informed: "Violence, foul language and abusive behaviours are not acceptable. Verbal threats or acts of violence will not be tolerated and may result in removal from this facility and/or prosecution."