Access to subsidized long-term care is coordinated by Island Health staff.
Please do not contact the operator directly regarding subsidized long-term care. For more information on subsidized long-term care, contact an Island Health Community Health Services office near you.
For information on private long-term care, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
1230 Balmoral Rd
Glenwarren Lodge undergoes an on-site accreditation assessment. Every three years, Glenwarren is independently assessed and receives full accreditation as awarded by Accreditation Canada.
Accreditation is an external peer review process to assess and improve the services health care organizations provide to their patients and clients, based on standards of excellence set by Accreditation Canada.
Publicly Subsidized Units: 101
Private-Pay Units: 7
We believe that people thrive in living spaces that are comfortable, engaging, and that accommodate the changing needs of individuals. Glenwarren Lodge, built in 1961, is located on a quiet residential street that offers a safe, peaceful environment. Surrounded by lush vegetation, it is a beautiful retreat for residents and their families.
Our residence reflects our community with the perfect balance of relaxed charm and welcoming warmth. Our residents feel truly at home with an inviting center courtyard, comfortable and bright lounges and recreational areas and an onsite hairdresser.
Located in Fernwood near the heart of the city in a residential neighborhood, Glenwarren is close to major bus routes and the Royal Jubilee Hospital. It is just a block to Cook Street where restaurants and coffee shops are perfect for an outing.
Philosophy of Care
- we acknowledge each resident as an individual recognizing his or her uniqueness and personhood
- we support a home-like environment that celebrates each resident’s existing strengths and spirit
- we provide opportunities for residents to use their existing skills and abilities to participate in meaningful activities
- we encourage and support family partnership in care giving
- we provide holistic personal care and work closely with community partners to provide best practices
- we believe that working with the community enables us to achieve the highest quality of service to the residents
- we work with volunteers, community agencies and schools to strengthen our care giving team
Enhancing your personal well-being is at the heart of Glenwarren. A professional interdisciplinary healthcare team, including registered nursing staff, is available 24-hours a day. Our Registered Dietician ensures meals are nourishing, and complementary to your healthcare needs.
- individualized assessment and care planning
- recreation and rehabilitation programs to optimize independence and lifestyle choices
- award-winning Revera/3M Skin Health program
- pain and symptom management
- resident safety programs
Our approach to enhancing lives blends health and wellness with a holistic philosophy of care, where your physical, emotional, social and spiritual well-being is always taken into account.
Type of Accommodation
- 29 private pay beds - a variety of sizes and layouts, personalized to suit your taste. Most private rooms have patios perfect for container gardens.
- 17 private beds - spacious comfortable rooms that you personalize to suit your taste.
- 40 semi-private beds - residing in our semi-private beds provides both companionship and a private area to make your own.
- 44 ward beds - residents in our ward beds enjoy safe, comfortable living among their peers. We strive to make each person feel at home while they enjoy the camaraderie of those around them.
Residents pay up to 80% of their after-tax income which covers the cost of food and accommodation.
Special Recreational Opportunities
With many recreational, therapeutic and leisure programs, our residents participate according to their interests and abilities. Whether it is morning exercise or an afternoon of musical entertainment with friends, there are many opportunities to enjoy yourself.
- physical activities, art and creative classes
- beauty salon and barber shop services
- music therapy
- complementary therapists
- restorative care program
- opportunities for nurturing friendships
- inter-generational and volunteer programs
- friendly pet visitations
- community and cultural events
- residents’ council and family council
- pastoral services
- community integration activities
- intercultural activities
Fully accessible at all entry/exits on all three levels.
Motorized Scooter Policy
Use of motorized scooters is not permitted in the building.
Pets are permitted to visit. Visiting pets must be leashed.
Glenwarren is a non-smoking environment.
All entry points are secured with coded locks.
Parking is free but limited.
During influenza season (typically December-March), to help protect patients from the flu, all visitors will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Influenza Protection Policy.
Provincial policy requires all visitors to be informed: "Violence, foul language and abusive behaviours are not acceptable. Verbal threats or acts of violence will not be tolerated and may result in removal from this facility and/or prosecution."