The COVID-19 vaccine in Island Health
Limited supplies of the COVID-19 vaccine has arrived in Island Health and will continue to arrive regularly in increasing quantities. The vaccination effort is unrolling quickly we will share more information as soon as it becomes available.
Who will be vaccinated first?
Everyone who would like a vaccine and who is eligible to receive one will have the opportunity to be vaccinated. The COVID-19 vaccine is free for everyone living in B.C. who is eligible to receive it.
Public health will arrange for priority groups to be vaccinated against COVID-19. No action is required on your part.
The COVID-19 vaccine is not available for the general public at this time.
BC's COVID-19 Immunization Plan will happen in four phases
- Phase 1: Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 High risk population
- Phase 2: Feb - Mar 2021 High-risk population
- Phase 3: Apr - Jun 2021 General population
- Phase 4: Jul - Sep 2021 General population
Vaccines will primarily be distributed by age, starting with the oldest. People with certain underlying conditions will also be included.
Visit the BC. Centre for Disease Control website for more about B.C.’s plan for vaccine distribution.
Visit ImmunizeBC for COVID-19 vaccine questions and answers.
Learn about vaccine effectiveness.
Help and support
- Talk to a Service BC agent about non-health related information and services: Text 1-604-660-2421 Dial 1-888-COVID19 (daily 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. PST, Standard message and data rates may apply).
- Help in other languages: Call 1-888-268-4319 (daily 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST).
- Telephone for the deaf: Dial 7-1-1 (across BC)
Reminder: Provincial Health Officer (PHO) orders and guidelines remain in place for everyone, regardless if they have received the vaccine. We all need to continue to protect each other by avoiding social interactions outside our immediate household, washing our hands often, staying home when we’re sick, staying physically distant from people we don’t know, and wearing a mask in public indoor spaces.
It is also extremely important that people continue to seek testing for COVID-19 if needed. Click here to learn more about symptoms and testing.