We want to Invest in You!
The Employed Student Nurse (ESN/ESPN) program provides nursing employment, under the regulatory supervision of an Island Health RN/RPN/NP, to work in a clinical setting for 275 hours of hands-on experience with pay. These hours will support you to apply your nursing theory and build clinical skills in a team environment and gain exposure to a career within Island Health. In many cases, you can apply your earned seniority towards your first RN/RPN job with us!
Island Health offers year-round employment. With two hiring intakes per year, nursing students can experience a variety of practice environments. Take a look at the job description (ESN and ESPN), program principles and FAQs of the ESN/ESPN program.
How to Apply:
Step 1: Review the Application Criteria
- Be continually enrolled full-time in a recognized Registered Nursing or Registered Psychiatric Nursing program in Canada, and be in good standing.
- Have successfully completed Year 2 of a British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives entry-level RN or RPN education program or equivalent nursing program from another jurisdiction.
- Meet eligibility criteria for Employed Student registration with British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Have certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support.
Step 2: Prepare Your Application
- Consider your first choice of program/specialty area and desired location by reviewing our locations.
- Prepare your Cover Letter to tell Island Health about yourself and your passions and interests in nursing.
- Organize your Resume to showcase your experience and highlight recent clinical placements.
- Identify at least two References (ideally a post-secondary institution Clinical Instructor and personal/work reference).
- Review British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives’ Employed Student Nurse webpage to get started in applying for your Employed Student license.
Step 3: Apply via VI-Hire
Employed Student Nurse positions are posted on VI-Hire in the spring and fall. Apply through the Expression of Interest (EOI) posting.
To apply on VI-Hire, you will need to:
- Create a VI-Hire account/profile.
- Upload a resume and cover letter.
- Set up an account to receive email auto-alerts for new job postings.
- Apply to the ESN Expression of Interest posting.
- Visit the VI-Hire website for more information.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions related to practice.
Contact email@example.com with questions related to the application process.