Every November, the Research Department hosts a month of collaborative events, bringing together leaders and researchers, healthcare providers and patients to learn about the importance of translating evidence into practice to improve care and outcomes.
Creating a Learning Health System to Improve Care: The Cognitive Health Initiative
Learn how formalizing workflows and data collection can enhance research opportunities and enable the implementation of solutions to improve care for patients with possible dementia. Dr. Alexandre Henri-Bhargava will speak on behalf of the Manning Cognitive Health Initiative, Seniors Strategy, and the Royal Jubilee Hospital Seniors Outpatient Clinic (Geo 4).
Pain CARE & Share Education Day
The 2019 theme was Against Pain in the Most Vulnerable. View slides of the presentations:
- Pain Management Strategy and Opioid Safety Initiatives in Island Health (Dr. Willie Pewarchuk, Physician Lead/Co-chair Pain Management and Opioid Safety Working Group)
- Managing Our Pain: The Provider/Patient Relationship (Dr. Laurence Bosley, Psychiatrist, Pain Program)
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) (Dr. Nelson Svorkdal, Anesthesiologist, Pain Specialist, Medical Director RJH Pain Program)
Engaging Indigenous Communities in the Cowichan Hospital Redesign
Engaging with indigenous communities to learn about respectful protocols for the planning and redesign of the new Cowichan hospital and health services.
Healthy Ageing: Evidence-Informed Practice with Seniors
This annual conference stimulates practice change and affirm best practices for optimal care and health promotion for seniors in all settings.
Slides are available to staff on the Island Health Intranet.
Hack This: Establishing an Innovation Lab at Island Health
Moving Evidence into Action in Complex Systems: Some Tools for the Journey
Learn about a new tool to help you assess and strengthen your ability to use and apply evidence.
Evidence-into-Practice Awards Ceremony
- Bronze Award-Winner Jennifer Spiers (Manager, Cowichan Home Support & Waldon House ADP): Quick Updating Information Procedure Sessions (QUIPS)
- Silver Award-Winner Sean Spina (Clinical Coordinator, Pharmacy): Investigation into the Cleaning Methods of Smartphones and Wearables from Infectious Contamination in a Patient Care Environment (I-SWIPE)
- Gold Award-Winner Donna Jouan-Tapp (Manager, Duncan Community Health Services): Defining Nursing Capacity in Community Care
2019 Island Psychosis Conference - Early Psychosis Pathways of Care: Is It Working?
This one-day symposium, hosted by Mental Health Recovery Partners, brought together practitioners, administrators, students, family members and people with lived experience.