The Medical Arts Urgent and Primary Care Centre is located in Port Place Mall in downtown Nanaimo at 103 - 650 South Terminal Avenue.
It has an integrated team of health-care professionals, including physicians, registered nurses, social worker, pharmacist, counsellors and medical office staff to provide non-emergency care.
The Medical Arts Urgent and Primary Care Centre is open seven-days a week to provide same-day treatment of non-emergency injuries and illnesses when you are unable to see a family doctor or care provider at your regular or walk-in clinic.
Is this the right care location for you?
Examples of conditions that can be treated at the Medical Arts Urgent and Primary Care Centre includes:
• Sprains and strains
• High fever
• Infections, such as chest, ear or bladder
• Mild asthma symptoms
• New or worsening pain (not including chest pain)
• Minor child illnesses and injuries
• Minor bleeding
• Minor allergic reaction
If you are experiencing a condition that is not an emergency but requires treatment within 24 hours, visit the Medical Arts Urgent and Primary Care Centre.
Services and care that are not provided at the Urgent and Primary Care Centre
- Emergency care. If you are experiencing a heart attack, stroke, or serious injury, call 9-1-1 or immediately go to the nearest emergency department.
- Prescribing certain medications, including narcotics.
- Providing annual physicals, prenatal care, or Pap smears.
Where to start when you need medical care:
1. Call your doctor or nurse practitioner's office. Same-day appointments may be available
2. Try a local walk-in clinic. You can check waiting times on https://medimap.ca
3. Visit the Urgent and Primary Care Centre if you have an illness or injury that can't wait more than 12 to 24 hours, and you do not have access to a family doctor.
4. Serious injuries and illnesses, such as heart attacks, head injuries, or strokes should be treated at an Emergency Department. Call 9-1-1 right away.
5. Call 8-1-1 anytime to speak with a registered nurse, a registered dietician, a qualified exercise professional, or a pharmacist. HealthlinkBC offers 8-1-1, a free provincial health information and advice phone line.
Unit 103 - 650 South Terminal Avenue
Telephone: 250-753-3431 or 250-741-0447
Hours of Operation
The Medical Arts Urgent and Primary Care Centre is open seven days a week
Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.