BC Virtual Visit is a secure video solution that enables visits with Island Health or affiliated healthcare providers from the comfort of home using a personal smartphone, tablet or computer. Talk to your care team to find out if a virtual appointment will meet your care needs.
Virtual care can be arranged through your primary care provider (physician or nurse practitioner) or Island Health care team.
Don’t have a primary care provider?
- Find a family doctor or nurse practitioner through the PathwaysMedicalCare.ca online directory.
- HealthLinkBC (8-1-1) can connect you with a virtual physician if further assessment is required.
- Medimap.ca can help you locate wait times and book appointments at local health clinics.
Technical Support and General Inquiries
This number is for the general public. Find technical support for healthcare providers.
1-844-442-4433 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BC Virtual Visit support is available Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. (excluding Statutory Holidays)
BC Virtual Visit and Your Device
Depending on the device you plan to use for your BC Virtual Visit appointment, you may be required to download an application.
If you are using a desktop computer (Mac or Windows) you have the choice to either download the app or continue using a supported browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari); Internet Explorer (IE) will NOT work.
iPhone and iPad users must download the app.
Android device users have the option to continue using Chrome or download the BC Virtual Visit Android mobile application from Google Play.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Prior to your appointment, you will need:
- A personal email address you feel comfortable using to receive appointment detail
- A personal computer, tablet or mobile phone with a camera, microphone and speaker for you to see, talk to and hear your provider - including access to a power source.
- A secure Internet or Wi-Fi connection (we recommend home Wi-Fi or internet connection). Be aware of your data plan to avoid unexpected charges.
- A private space to attend the visit
Downloading and Installing the BC Virtual Visit App
Your virtual visit may require you to download our virtual care application. Ensure you have the latest version of the patient application for your chosen device prior to your appointment; see Downloading the BC Virtual Visit App.
Attending Your Appointment
Once you have prepared for your appointment and downloaded the required application, you are ready to attend your appointment. Join your appointment a few minutes early to test your audio and video, and to seek technical assistance if needed.
Privacy and Security
To support the privacy and security of your appointment, use a home WiFi or wired network and avoid using public WiFi connections (e.g. guest WiFi at a coffee shop).
Privacy during your appointment
- BC Virtual Visit is secure and encrypted.
- All transfer of data and video are safe from unauthorized access and kept confidential;
- BC Virtual Visit abides by national, provincial and Island Health Privacy and Security Standards;
- BC Virtual Visit appointments will not be recorded.*
*If you plan to take or share photos, video or audio recordings, ensure you ask for and receive the permission of everyone who may be captured by the recording. Thank you for respecting people’s privacy rights.
Electronic Communications/Virtual Health Notification to clients: Potential Risks and How to Protect Your Information
Benefits of BC Virtual Visit
New to virtual care? Watch the video below to learn more about BC Virtual Visit (formerly MyVirtualVisit) and how it is transforming the way we provide care.