The following resources are available to help support people taking care of loved ones.
The Family Caregivers’ Network Society (FCBC) serves the Greater Victoria area and the Southern Gulf Islands. They offer some support groups and provide advice on resources available to families.
FCBC offers FREE services for family and friend caregivers who provide unpaid care and support to people living with chronic disease, disability or frailty due to aging. Services include:
- A Toll-Free Caregiver Support Line (1-877-520-3267) with one-to-one emotional support, health system navigation, information and referral, Brief Action Planning, and Caregiver Coaching by referral
- Caregiver Support Groups in Greater Victoria
- Caregiver Support Group Facilitator Training and Community of Practice for support group facilitators
- Extensive online Caregiver Resource Center www.familycaregiversbc.ca with resources and tools by caregiver topic; education and learning webinars, webinar recordings, e-learning modules, flip books and podcasts
- Collaboration with community, health authority and government partners to include the family caregiver voice in health care policy and practice.
The Government of British Columbia website offers many practical resources and suggestions to support caregivers.
If you are caring for a loved one with dementia, please visit the Dementia page for useful links and resources.
Some caregivers may need a temporary break from looking after their family member. Visit the Respite Care page to find out what is available through Island Health and how to apply.