Your health care partners want you to get the best possible care, support and outcome for your hip or knee surgery. Our main goals in supporting you are to:
- Reduce your wait time for surgery
- Support you – from your first appointment, all the way to recovery
- Make sure you understand everything you need to know and do to get ready for and recover from your surgery
Patient Education & Rehabilitation Resources
You play a key role in preparing for and recovering from surgery. The following resources and videos relay important information and demonstrate exercises, and precautions, relevant to your procedure. The resources provide detailed instructions on what to expect before, during and after your surgery and what equipment that needs to be ordered in advance so that you are well prepared.
Getting Ready for Surgery Guides:
- Getting Ready for and Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery
- Getting Ready for and Recovering from Knee Replacement Surgery
- Getting Ready for Surgery
Videos to Support Post-Surgery and Recovery:
Daily Living Activities After Hip Replacement
Hip Replacement Exercises- * Consult your local physiotherapist to determine whether these exercises are appropriate for you
Daily Living Activities After Knee Replacement
Knee Replacement Exercises - *Consult your local physiotherapist to determine whether these exercises are appropriate for you
* We would like to acknowledge Rebalance MD for the generous use of their comprehensive videos.
Learn More About the Supports Available to You
Choose the hospital location that your surgery will be conducted at to learn more about the resources available to support you pre and post surgery:
- Comox Valley or Campbell River campuses of the North Island Hospital Island
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
- Victoria General Hospital or Royal Jubilee Hospital
If you are receiving your total hip or knee replacement at Cowichan District Hospital, please contact your primary care provider for more information on available supports.