This page has useful links for patients and their loved ones should they need to travel for non-emergency care.
Travel options for different island locations.
Travel Assistance Program (TAP)
Financial assistance for eligible B.C. residents.
Places to Stay
Tips to help make your stay as comfortable as possible.
BC Medical Travel Accommodation Listing
Accommodations that offer discounted rates to patients and their families. Tip: Get the hospital address from our hospital pages then enter it into their search.
For help finding a place, call their help line at 250-953-2022 or 1-800-663-3883. Let them know you require a medical rate.
Here are some tips to help you make arrangements for staying overnight when traveling for a medical appointment:
- try to book as soon as you know you need a place to stay - accommodation fills up quickly during holidays and special events
- visit websites for detailed information before you book
- identify yourself as a patient (or a family member of a patient) and ask for a special discounted “medical” or “Island Health” (Vancouver Island Health Authority) rate
- plan for extra costs such as phone calls, parking and meals
- remember: taxes apply to regular and discounted room rates. B.C. has a 12% Harmonized Sales Tax in place
- confirm the rate at the time of booking. Discounts may change at the discretion of the business
- get a confirmation number and check-in and check-out times when you book
- ask about cancellation policies and other restrictions or charges that may apply
- keep receipts for your accommodation, meals and travel expenses - you may be able to claim these as medical expenses on your income tax return (go to Revenue Canada’s website for more information)
Travel on Vancouver Island
Wheels for Wellness Society
This group drives people to and from non-emergency medical appointments out of town.
Greyhound Bus Line
Bus service for locations across Vancouver Island.
Public transit for cities and towns across BC.
Travel to Vancouver Island
Ferry service to and from Vancouver Island. Call ahead to request a wheelchair.
Pacific Coach Lines
Bus from Vancouver (downtown or airport) to downtown Victoria.
Flying - Air Travel
Scheduled flights and charter companies.