The Assisted Living residence apartments are 540 square foot one bedroom units designed to be fully self contained and accessible to most elders able to direct their own care.
Access to subsidized assisted living units is through a Community Health Services assessment.
Please do not contact the Operator directly regarding subsidized units. For more information on subsidized residential care, contact an Island Health Community Health Services office near you.
For information on market units, please refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC.
137 Blain Rd
Salt Spring Island, B.C.
Greenwoods Eldercare Society
No restrictions on visiting hours.
Publicly Subsidized Units: 30
Private-Pay Units: 0
Three storey complex adjacent to Greenwoods Care Centre and Lady Minto Hospital, northwest of the Ganges town center.
East-facing units offer sea views of the Ganges Harbour.
Two elevators, second and third story common patios, large rear patio with resident tended gardens, free laundry machines, recycling program, extensive recreation programs, hair dressing located in adjacent building, foot-care available (fee for service) and a level walking track surrounds the building.
Located within walking distance of acute care hospital, shopping, volunteer agencies and senior services agency.
- no exemptions from smoking or pet rules
- all tenants are required to sign a lease agreement prior to being admitted to the site
- tenants must be 55+ years of age
- younger adults with special circumstances may be considered
Central area with shopping mall adjacent and bus service at the front door. Acute care hospital and doctors offices adjacent.
Language, Culture or Religious Affiliation
Philosophy of Care
Residents live independently with services provided. Greenwoods believes in person-centred care and support. Residents are encouraged to participate in the activity and recreation programs that appeal to them - but each resident directs their personal participation.
Type of Accommodation
- 30 one-bedroom units with large windows, full kitchen and bath with step-in shower. ARJO side entry tub available onsite for those that require assisted bathing and are approved by the case manager
- purpose-built wheelchair accessible units on the main floor with specialized appliances
Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income which covers:
- monthly rental accommodation
- hospitality services: two meals and two snacks daily, weekly housekeeping, laundry, etc.
- personal care
- on-site emergency response system
Residents on income assistance pay a flat rate. Items not included as a part of the monthly fee include: telephone, cable, hydro, personal laundry, household and toiletry supplies, medications, personal care products and insurance.
Special Recreational Opportunities
Bingo, yoga, card, music concerts, video nights, live piano performances, special occasion meal events, occasional trips to Vancouver Island, craft classes, art, music and exercise therapies provided by trained leaders, computer station with internet & lessons, library of books, BBQs in summer months, gardening.
- 3 fully accessible handicap units with private patios
- 3 units on ground level
- 2 elevators
- Wide corridors
Motorized Scooter Policy
Permitted with storage at front reception area.
No pets permitted.
- 24/7 security guard on-call
- 24/7 personal distress call button for each resident
- building and suites locked
- police, fire and ambulance in the immediate area
- acute care hospital across parking lot behind building
Chaplain is available.
Any Other Amenities
Friendly skilled hospitality staff and a team of dedicated Community Support Workers located in an office on the main floor of the residence.
Parking is free but limited.
During influenza season (typically December-March), to help protect patients from the flu, all visitors will be expected to wear a mask in our facilities if they have not had a flu shot. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions and Influenza Protection Policy.