Island Health’s outbreak response has identified three cases of COVID-19 at Chartwell Malaspina Care Centre’s Hummingbird Unit, declaring an outbreak for that unit only.
Communication with residents, families and staff is ongoing.
Two staff members and one resident have tested positive for COVID-19. The origin of the outbreak is still
The following outbreak protocols have been implemented on the Hummingbird Unit:
- Residents and staff have been isolated to the Unit;
- All social visitation, admissions and transfers have been stopped;
- Enhanced cleaning protocols and use of personal protective equipment;
- Island Health continues to support the outbreak response;
- Staffing levels and supply of personal protective equipment are being closely monitored and Island Health is supporting where needed, to ensure safe resident care continues
The rest of the facility is under enhanced surveillance.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.