Island Health has declared COVID-19 outbreaks at Wexford Creek and Eden Gardens long-term care homes in Nanaimo. One staff person has tested positive for COVID-19 at each site. At this time, no residents are experiencing symptoms. Communication with residents and families is underway.
Wexford Creek is owned and operated by Park Place Seniors Living. The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home. The outbreak is limited to one floor within the facility. Admissions, transfers and visitation to the entire site have been stopped.
Eden Gardens is owned and operated by the Nanaimo Travellers Lodge Society. The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home. The outbreak is limited to staff and elders who participated in activities on specific days. Admissions, transfers and visitation to the entire site have been stopped.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place at both sites. Island Health is working with Wexford Creek and Eden Gardens leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at both sites:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care.
- Visitors are restricted throughout the facilities.
- Staff and resident movement in the facilities has been restricted.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
- At Wexford Creek, all residents on the affected floor are being tested for COVID-19 and all staff who worked on the affected floor with the confirmed case are being tested for COVID-19.
- At Eden Gardens, all staff and elders who participated in activities on specific days are being tested for COVID-19.
During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at both sites to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.