Community Wellness Grant program call for applications

People and communities on Vancouver Island and surrounding coastal communities will benefit from up to $800,000 in Community Wellness Grants being provided by Island Health to improve the health and well-being of Island residents. 

Now in its sixth year, Island Health’s Community Wellness Grant program provides the opportunity for not-for-profit organizations, local government organizations and Indigenous Nations, organizations and communities to apply for one-time funding for the development of new wellness initiatives and programs. 

"I'm so pleased we are able to offer the Community Wellness Grant program again this year," said Kathy MacNeil, Island Health's President and CEO. "It is estimated that only 25% of a person’s health is a result of the delivery of health care. The remaining 75% are factors external to the health care system – the social determinants of health. These grants will help organizations support various regional wellness initiatives and bolster people's health and wellbeing in their communities."

The focus of the 2023/2024 funding cycle is community resilience, including connected, diverse, safe, active, and nourished communities. A total of up to $600,000 is available for individual/small grant funding. Individual grants will be awarded up to $12,000 each. 

To encourage partnerships and collaboration, the remaining $200,000 is allocated for projects that are multi-jurisdictional/multi-agency and involve a minimum of three partner organizations. Partnership grant applications will be awarded up to $50,000 each. 

The Community Wellness Grant program is highlighting community resilience this year, a timely and important focus,” said Dr. Réka Gustafson, Island Health’s Chief Medical Health Officer. “As our communities work to recover from the pandemic, the projects that Island Health funds through this program aim to support communities to re-focus on the social determinants that have broad and long-term effects health.”

By funding community-based wellness initiatives, the Community Wellness Grant program makes a positive contribution to the health and wellness of diverse groups of Island residents. The diverse range of projects receiving funding in 2022/2023 included an immersion course run by the Gwa'sala-'Nakwaxda'xw Nation for people to learn an endangered Indigenous language; an intergenerational connections project in the Comox Valley that brings together an early years collaborative, a seniors society, and other partners; a cooking and skill building program for expecting families and parents of young children in Nanaimo; and a visual arts-based autobiographical storytelling and community building group for newcomer women in Victoria.

For more information on how to apply for a Community Wellness Grant and for updates on some of our previous grant recipients, please visit