Island Health’s outbreak response has identified one additional case of COVID-19 related to the outbreak which was declared at Eden Gardens long-term care home in Nanaimo.
One elder* has tested positive. The new case was detected through testing performed yesterday. The new elder case is in an individual who was identified as a contact to the original positive staff case and is now isolating. Communication with residents, families and staff is ongoing.
The outbreak has been expanded to the entire facility. All elders will be on droplet and contact precautions. All 127 elders and 246 staff will be tested.
The following steps are underway as part of the outbreak response at the home:
- All elders have been isolated to their rooms;
- Congregate dining has been stopped and residents will be served meals in their rooms;
- Staff movement through the facility is restricted;
- Only essential visits with extra precautions are allowed;
- All admissions and transfers have been stopped;
- Enhanced cleaning protocols and use of personal protective equipment;
- Island Health continues to have a presence at the home to support the outbreak response;
- Staffing levels and supply of personal protective equipment are being closely monitored and Island Health is supporting where needed, to ensure safe resident care continues
Eden Gardens is owned and operated by the Nanaimo Travellers Lodge Society. Island Health will continue to work with Eden Gardens leadership and staff to respond to this outbreak and protect the health of all elders and staff.
For more information about COVID-19, see www.islandhealth.ca/covid19
* Elder is used to refer to residents, as this is what the provider uses.