Island Health’s outbreak response has identified one additional case of COVID-19 related to the outbreak which was declared at Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence long-term care home in Nanaimo.
One additional staff member has tested positive. The new case was detected through a round of mass testing performed this week and we received confirmation of the positive result on January 21. The staff member is now isolating and contact tracing by Island Health’s Public Health team to identify anyone potentially exposed has been completed. This staff member was working on one of the previously identified outbreak units. The outbreak remains confined to two units on the first floor of the home. Communication with residents, families and staff is ongoing.
Since the outbreak was declared, more than 400 COVID-19 tests have been performed on residents and staff at Malaspina. In total, seven residents and two staff member have tested positive. All other results received to date are negative.
The following steps continue as part of the outbreak response at the home:
- COVID-positive residents have been isolated to their rooms;
- The affected units have been isolated from the rest of the building;
- Staff movement on the affected units is restricted;
- All social visitation, admissions and transfers have been stopped;
- Enhanced cleaning protocols and use of personal protective equipment;
- Island Health continues to have a presence at the home to support the outbreak response;
- Staffing levels and supply of personal protective equipment are being closely monitored and Island Health is supporting where needed, to ensure safe resident care continues
Malaspina is owned and operated by Chartwell Retirement Residences. Island Health will continue to work with Chartwell Malaspina leadership and staff to respond to this outbreak and protect the health of all residents and staff.