A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared in two houses at Mount St. Mary long-term care home in Victoria, and additional cases of COVID-19 have been identified related to the outbreak at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (NRGH).
Mount St. Mary:
Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak in two houses at Mount St. Mary long-term care home in Victoria. One resident and one staff member have tested positive for COVID-19 at the site. Communication with residents, families and staff is underway.
The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place. Island Health is working with Mount St. Mary leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Admissions will be restricted in the two houses while the outbreak is in effect;
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care;
- Visitors are currently restricted for the two houses affected by the outbreak;
- Other visiting may also be impacted due to capacity and staffing challenges;
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted;
- Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures continue;
- Residents, families and staff are being notified;
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents continues;
- COVID-19 testing will be done for staff and residents based on a strategy defined by the Medical Health Officer.
Mount St. Mary is a not-for-profit long-term care home owned and operated by the Marie Esther Society. During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health’s outbreak response has identified two additional cases related to the outbreak declared on the High Intensity Rehab Unit at NRGH on April 14.
One of the additional cases is in a patient, while the other is in a staff member who worked on the unit. In total, six patients and one staff member have tested positive related to this outbreak. All other test results received to date related to this outbreak are negative.
Despite the additional cases, the outbreak remains limited to the High Intensity Rehab Unit and no other areas of the hospital are currently affected. The hospital is still a safe place and people should not avoid seeking emergency care if they require it. All outpatient services and scheduled procedures will continue as normal.
Communication with patients and staff is ongoing.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19