Island Health is reminding people to show your family and friends that you care by not giving COVID-19 the opportunity to spread this long weekend.
We wish to acknowledge everyone throughout the Island Health region who has and continues to make difficult sacrifices during this global pandemic. We understand the urge to gather with loved ones, especially on Family Day, however even small gatherings present a significant risk. Contact tracing investigations continue to show that COVID-19 is spreading on Vancouver Island in places and situations where people gather.
Social interaction and getting together with others in person and online is important to our wellbeing. There are many options to do so safely. The outdoors has been a refuge for many during the pandemic, and despite the winter weather expected on Vancouver Island this weekend we encourage you to safely take advantage of the many outdoor recreation opportunities within your local community.
You can go for a walk with someone outside your household, as long as it does not turn into a group of people meeting outside. Pick a family member or friend and connect safely this long weekend.
Show kindness and respect for your friends, family, and those you don’t know by:
- Staying local – do not travel outside of your community, unless it is necessary for work or medical appointments;
- Socializing only with your household, or core bubble if you live alone – don’t invite friends or family over to your home or go to someone else’s home for a social visit, games, dinner, or a backyard hangout;
- Wearing a non-medical mask;
- Maintaining physical distance of 2-metres with people outside your immediate household;
- Staying home if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, or feeling sick or unwell (except to seek testing or medical care);
- Practicing good hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
Thank you for continuing to do your part, and enjoy a restful Family Day weekend.