Island Health’s outbreak response has identified two cases of COVID-19 at Victoria Chinatown Care Centre Long-Term Care, declaring an outbreak.
Communication with residents, families and staff is ongoing.
All 31 residents of the home as well as staff are being tested for COVID-19, as recommended by the Medical Health Officer. The origin of the outbreak is still under investigation.
The following steps have been taken as part of the outbreak response at the home:
- COVID-positive residents have been isolated to their rooms;
- All social visitation, admissions and transfers have been stopped;
- Enhanced cleaning protocols and use of personal protective equipment;
- Island Health continues to support the outbreak response;
- Staffing levels and supply of personal protective equipment are being closely monitored and Island Health is supporting where needed, to ensure safe resident care continues
Victoria Chinatown Care Centre Long-Term Care is owned and operated by the Victoria Chinatown Care Society. Island Health will continue to work with Victoria Chinatown Care Society leadership and staff to respond to this outbreak and protect the health of all residents and staff.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.