Island Health has identified one additional case of COVID-19 related to the outbreak which was declared at Tsawaayuus Rainbow Gardens long-term care home in Port Alberni on November 16.
One of the residents deemed as a close contact to the initial staff case has tested positive for COVID-19. We received confirmation of this positive result on November 18. As a precautionary measure, this resident will be transferred out of the facility and that is expected to occur on the evening of November 18. This is only precautionary and this resident is not experiencing symptoms at this time.
At this time, all other test results for residents and staff have come back negative. Communication with residents and families is underway.
Since the outbreak was declared on November 16, the three residents considered close contacts to the initial staff case have been isolated in their rooms, the unit where their rooms are located has been isolated from the rest of the building, and staff movement has been restricted to that unit.
Staff caring for the three residents deemed close contacts have been using enhanced personal protective equipment, and personal protective equipment use across the site has also been enhanced to reduce the risk of transmission.
The following actions are underway immediately at the site:
- All 44 residents in the long-term care facility will be tested for COVID-19
- All staff who work in the long-term care facility will be tested
- Island Health Public Health nurses are attending the site to expedite testing
- Out of an abundance of caution, the residents of the adjacent assisted living facility will be tested for COVID-19
- Additional housecleaning and care aide staff support is being provided to the site
- Enhanced monitoring of residents and staff for symptom
During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.