Island Health’s outbreak response has identified one additional case of COVID-19 related to the outbreak which was declared at Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence long-term care home in Nanaimo.
Six residents have tested positive for COVID-19. The new case was detected through mass testing performed this week and we received confirmation of these positive results on December 31st. Communication with residents, families and staff is ongoing.
Since the outbreak was declared all residents of the home have been tested for COVID-19, as well as more than 130 staff, as recommended by the Medical Health Officer. Of the more than 260 tests, a total of six residents have now tested positive related to this outbreak. All other results are negative. There are now two units, both on the first floor of the facility, affected by the outbreak. The origin of the outbreak is still under investigation.
The following steps have been taken as part of the outbreak response at the home:
- COVID-positive residents have been isolated to their rooms;
- The affected units have been isolated from the rest of the building;
- Staff movement on the affected units is restricted;
- All visitation, admissions and transfers have been stopped;
- Enhanced cleaning protocols and use of personal protective equipment;
- Island Health continues to have a presence at the home to support the outbreak response;
- Staffing levels and supply of personal protective equipment are being closely monitored and Island Health is supporting where needed, to ensure safe resident care continues
Malaspina is owned and operated by Chartwell Retirement Residences. Island Health will continue to work with Chartwell Malaspina leadership and staff to respond to this outbreak and protect the health of all residents and staff.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.