Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Veterans Memorial Lodge long-term care home located in Victoria. One staff member has tested positive for COVID-19 to date. Communication with residents, families and staff is underway.
Veterans Memorial Lodge is a non-profit care home operated by Broadmead Care. The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home. The outbreak is limited to one unit, however Veterans Memorial Lodge is currently closed to admissions.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place at the site. Island Health is working with Veterans Memorial Lodge leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all staff, residents and families.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care
- Visitors are on hold for all residents at Veterans Memorial Lodge
- Staff and resident movement in the care home has been limited
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced
- Residents, families and staff are being notified
- Ongoing screening protocols for staff and residents are in place, including temperature monitoring.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19
Island Health Media Line: 250-716-7750