Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Ts’i’ts’uwatul’ Lelum assisted living facility in Duncan. One staff member who worked at the facility has tested positive for COVID-19.
The staff member is now isolating at home and Island Health’s Public Health team is completing contact tracing to identify any staff or residents that were potentially exposed. Residents and staff identified as close contacts will be tested for COVID-19, and residents considered a close contact will be connected with Island Health’s Community Health Services to receive daily monitoring. No residents are experiencing symptoms at this time. Communication with residents and staff is ongoing.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the facility:
- Enhanced use of personal protective equipment;
- Recreation activities have been postponed;
- Interactions between residents will be significantly reduced;
- Dining in common areas will be stopped and residents will be served meals in their rooms;
- Residents deemed close contacts will be supported to self-isolate;
- Admissions and transfers will be stopped.
Ts’i’ts’uwatul’ Lelum is owned and operated by M’akola Housing Society. During this time, Island Health will work with leadership and staff at the facility to support steps to protect the health of residents and staff.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.