Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Tsawaayuuss Rainbow Gardens long-term care home located in Port Alberni. One staff member has tested positive for COVID-19 to date. No residents are currently experiencing symptoms. Communication with residents and families is underway.
Rainbow Gardens is a not-for-profit facility operated by WestCoast Native Health Care Society. The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home. The entire site is closed to admissions, transfers and visitors.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place at the site. Island Health has worked with Tsawaayuuss Rainbow Gardens leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents, staff and families.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care.
- Visitors are restricted throughout the facility.
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19