Island Health has declared the COVID-19 outbreak over at Victoria Chinatown Care Centre long-term care home in Victoria.
With the implementation of comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care there are no longer cases of COVID-19 at the home and all additional test results are negative.
Island Health declared the outbreak on September 19 after two residents tested positive for COVID-19. No other cases in residents or staff members were identified.
Victoria Chinatown Care Centre is owned and operated by the Victoria Chinatown Care Society. The team at Victoria Chinatown Care Centre is to be commended for their diligent work managing this outbreak, and continuing to provide high quality, compassionate care throughout. Upon declaring the outbreak, Island Health took immediate action to support Victoria Chinatown Care Centre in its response to protect the health of all residents and staff.
With the outbreak now declared over, the following will occur Victoria Chinatown Care Centre:
- Extensive cleaning, as part of standard end-of-outbreak protocols commenced October 6;
- Pre-planned visitors and outings will resume October 12;
- Admissions and transfers will resume October 12;
- Resident movement around the home will resume;
- Diligent infection prevention measures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment for staff and visitors will continue.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living, and licensed facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.