Island Health has declared the COVID-19 outbreak over at Glacier View Lodge long-term care home in Courtenay.
With the implementation of comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, there are no longer any COVID-19 cases related to the outbreak at the home.
Island Health declared an outbreak at Glacier View Lodge on February 28 after one staff member tested positive for COVID-19. No other cases in residents or staff were identified through extensive follow-up testing.
Glacier View Lodge is a not-for-profit long-term care home operated by Glacier View Lodge Society. The team at Glacier View is to be commended for their exceptional work ensuring no residents were affected by this outbreak and continuing to provide high-quality care under challenging circumstances. Upon declaring the outbreak, Island Health took immediate action to support the home in its response to protect the health of all residents and staff.
With the outbreak now declared over, the following will occur at Glacier View:
- Social visits on the outbreak unit will resume on March 11;
- Social visits on all other units will resume on March 10;
- Admissions and transfers will resume;
- Congregate dining will resume, with COVID-19 safety protocols in place;
- Diligent infection prevention measures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment will continue.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living, and licensed facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.