Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Discovery Harbour long-term care home located in Campbell River. One staff member has tested positive for COVID-19 to date. At this time, no residents are experiencing symptoms. Communication with residents and families is underway.
Discovery Harbour is owned and operated by Park Place Seniors Living. The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home. The outbreak is limited to one neighbourhood within the facility. Admissions, transfers and visitation to the entire site have been stopped.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place at the site. Island Health is working with Discovery Harbour leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care.
- Visitors are restricted throughout the facility.
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- All residents on the affected neighbourhood are being tested for COVID-19.
- All staff who worked on the affected neighbourhood with the confirmed case are being tested for COVID-19.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit www.islandhealth.ca/covid19
Media Pager: 250-716-7750