Island Health has declared one outbreak over and one additional long-term care outbreak.
Outbreak declared over:
The Heights at Mt. View long-term care home in Victoria
In total, one staff case and one resident case were attributed to this outbreak.
The Heights and Mt. View is owned and operated by Baptist Housing.
Staff at The Heights are to be commended for their excellent work delivering high quality, compassionate care under challenging circumstances.
Outbreak protocols will now be ended at the site. Enhanced infection prevention and control measures and monitoring of staff and residents for symptoms will continue.
Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence long-term care home in Nanaimo
Three resident cases have been identified related to this outbreak. The outbreak declaration is limited to the Sandpiper unit at this time.
Malaspina is owned and operated by Chartwell Retirement Residences.
The case numbers reported in this bulletin are cases that have been confirmed via PCR testing or follow up from Island Health’s case and contact management team.
In general, the following outbreak response protocols have been implemented at the sites:
- No admissions or transfers to affected units;
- Essential visits can continue in outbreak units and sites;
- Staff movement will be limited wherever possible;
- No congregate dining or group activities for residents of affected units;
- Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures will continue;
- Residents, families and staff are being notified;
- Enhanced screening of all staff and residents for symptoms;
- COVID-19 testing as determined by the Medical Health Officer and Infection Prevention and Control.
During this time, Island Health will support the sites to take any further actions required and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and licensed care facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.