One staff member who worked in the home has tested positive for COVID-19. Contact tracing by Island Health’s Public Health team is underway to identify anyone potentially exposed and the staff member is isolating at home. At this time, no residents are experiencing symptoms. Communication with staff, residents and their families is ongoing.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place at the home and Island Health is working with leadership and staff to protect the health and safety of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Residents are isolated to their suites;
- Congregate dining has been stopped and residents will be served meals in their rooms;
- All 17 residents have been tested for COVID-19;
- Staff will be tested for COVID-19, as per the strategy defined by the Medical Health Officer;
- Twice a day screening of all residents, and twice per shift screening of staff for symptoms;
- Enhanced cleaning and infection control measures are in place;
- Enhanced use of personal protective equipment;
- Admissions, transfers and social visits have been stopped.
Hart House is owned and operated by Trillium Communities. During this time, Island Health will continue to work with site leadership to take any steps necessary to support the outbreak response.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living, independent living, and licensed facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.