Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Glacier View Lodge long-term care home in Courtenay. One staff person has tested positive for COVID-19 at the site. At this time, no residents are experiencing symptoms. Communication with residents and families is underway.
Glacier View Lodge is a not for profit long-term care home operated by Glacier View Lodge Society. The staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home. The outbreak is limited to two wings within the facility.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place. Island Health is working with Glacier View Lodge leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Admissions will be restricted while the outbreak is in effect.
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care.
- Visitors are currently restricted throughout the facility to only essential visitors.
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
- COVID-19 testing will be done for staff and residents who worked with the affected staff member.
During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.