Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence long-term care home in Nanaimo. One resident has tested positive for COVID-19. Communication with residents and families is underway.
Malaspina is owned and operated by Chartwell Retirement Residences. The resident who tested positive will be isolated to their room, and the affected unit will be isolated from the rest of the building. The outbreak is limited to one unit on the first floor of the facility at this time. Admissions, transfers and visitation to the site have been stopped.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place at the site. Island Health is working with Malaspina leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all residents and staff.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care;
- Visitors are restricted throughout the facility;
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted;
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced;
- Residents, families and staff are being notified;
- Residents will be tested, as per the strategy defined by the Medical Health Officer;
- Staff will be tested, as per the strategy defined by the Medical Health Officer;
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
During this time, Island Health will have additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents and family members.
Island Health has implemented comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living and independent living facilities.
For more information about COVID-19, please visit: www.islandhealth.ca/covid19.