Care Coordinator Medical Assistance in Dying & Nurse Researcher, Island Health
Adjunct Professor, School of Nursing, University of Victoria
Dr. Beuthin is an Adjunct Professor at University of Victoria’s School of Nursing and works as a researcher and clinical nurse specialist and coordinator for Island Health’s Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD) program. She focuses promoting understanding of and ensuring access to MAiD.
Dr. Beuthin is actively involved in research projects about end of life care. Her research interests include the experience of living with advanced illness, nurses' experience with assisted dying, and the experiences of grief-bereavement.
Select Publications and Presentations
- Beuthin, Rosanne & Bruce, Anne & Thompson, Marney & Andersen, A. E. (Betty) & Lundy, Sarah (2021). Experiences of grief-bereavement after a medically assisted death in Canada: Bringing death to life. Death Studies. 10.1080/07481187.2021.1876790
- Beuthin, Rosanne & Bruce, Anne & Hopwood, Marie-clare & Robertson, W & Bertoni, Katherine. (2020). Rediscovering the art of medicine, rewards, and risks: Physicians’ experience of providing medical assistance in dying in Canada. SAGE Open Medicine. 8. 205031212091345. 10.1177/2050312120913452.
- Bruce, Anne & Beuthin, Rosanne & Sheilds, Laurene & Molzahn, Anita & Schick-Makaroff, Kara. (2019). Holding Secrets While Living With Life-Threatening Illness: Normalizing Patients’ Decisions to Reveal or Conceal. Qualitative Health Research. 30. 104973231988771. 10.1177/1049732319887714.
- Bruce, Anne & Beuthin, Rosanne. (2019). Medically Assisted Dying in Canada: “Beautiful Death” Is Transforming Nurses’ Experiences of Suffering. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research. 084456211985623. 10.1177/0844562119856234.
- McMechan, Cedar & Bruce, Anne & Beuthin, Rosanne. (2019). Canadian Nursing Students’ Experiences with Medical Assistance in Dying. Quality Advancement in Nursing Education. 5. 10.17483/2368-6669.1179.
Honours and Awards
Island Health's Collaborative Grant Award, 2019