Jolanta Piszczek, BSc Pharm, Pharm D, MSc (EBM)
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Infectious Diseases and Antimicrobial Stewardship
Clinical Associate Professor, University of British Columbia, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Clinical Instructor, Island Medical Program, University of Victoria, Faculty of Medicine
As a Board-certified Infectious Diseases Pharmacist, Dr. Piszczek’s focus is providing the highest standard of pharmaceutical care to patients requiring antimicrobials. She leads the production, planning and evaluation of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program, which furthers this goal in a systemic way. Dr. Piszczek is an active researcher with a Master's in Evidence-Based Medicine, with interests in translational research and evidence-based policy. Her passion is helping new clinicians gain research experience and confidence.
Dr. Piszczek’s research focuses on antimicrobial pharmacotherapy, knowledge synthesis (such as developing clinical guidelines) and outcomes research.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Piszczek J, Mamdani M, Antoniou T et al. Impact of policy on testosterone use in elderly men. PLoS ONE 2014 9(7): e98003. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0098003
- Piszczek J, St Jean, R, Kaliq, J. "Gonorrhea: Treatment Update for an Increasingly Resistant Organism/ Traitement de la Gonorrhée: Le Point sur un Microorganisme de plus en plus Résistant." Can Pharm J. 2015 Mar;148(2):82-9. doi: 10.1177/1715163515570111
- Piszczek J, Hutchinson J, Partlow E. Failure of Ceftriaxone and Daptomycin in Treatment of Enterococcal Endocarditis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 09/2014; 70(2). DOI:10.1093/jac/dku381
- Piszczek J, Partlow E. Stepped-Wedge Trial Design for Studying Ebola Therapies. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2015;15(7). DOI:10.1016/S1473-3099(15)00078-X
- Piszczek J, Partlow E, Beta-Lactam Monotherapy for Empiric Treatment of Community-Acquired Pneumonia (CAP). NEJM 2015; 373(7):683-4. DOI:10.1056/NEJMc1506892#SA2
- Simeonova M, Piszczek J, Hoi S et al. Evaluation of Compliance with the 2017 Canadian Paediatric Society Position Statement for the Management of Newborns at Risk for Early-Onset Sepsis: a retrospective cohort study. Paediatrics & Child Health, pxaa042, https://doi.org/10.1093/pch/pxaa042