Research Approvals and Ethics
Approval to Conduct Research
In order to conduct research at Island Health, Principal Investigators must obtain:
- A Research Ethics Board Certificate of Approval issued by Island Health or including Island Health in the Harmonized Ethical Approval and
- Island Health Operational Review & Approvals, as applicable
QI/QA and Program Evaluation Projects
Although Quality Improvement (QI) and Quality Assurance (QA) projects do not undergo a formal review by a research ethics board, they still require appropriate organizational oversight. If you are unsure if your project would be considered QI or Research, please consider completing the ARECCI tool created by Island Health.
Please note: You must be logged into the Island Health network to access this tool.
If you are considering conducting a QI project within Island Health, please complete the QI Registry.
Students, Faculty, and BC Ethics Harmonization
Researchers who must obtain multiple ethical clearances from separate BC research ethics boards (such as UVic, UBC, BC Cancer Agency, or another Health Authority) can start by completing this Harmonized Ethics Checklist (.doc) and emailing our office at email@example.com. We will then ensure the right people are involved for an efficient ethical review of your study across the various institutions that may be involved.
All new research ethics projects involving University of Victoria and Island Health need to start with the completion of the Harmonized Ethics Checklist (.doc)
Additional approvals for regulated sponsored clinical trials:
1. Clinical Trial Agreement between Island Health, Principal Investigator, and Sponsor
2. Health Canada Letter of No Objection (NOL)
3. Clinical Trial Registration number with a non-profit clinical trials registry, e.g. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/
Additional approvals for grant-funded studies:
1. Grant Contribution Agreement
Additional approvals for external affiliated researchers:
1. Research Affiliation/Collaboration Agreement (inter-institutional)
2. Study Specific Researcher Affiliation Agreement
UBC Family Practice Resident Research, Dietetic Interns, Pharmacy Residents and Summer Medical Students Research Projects
UBC Family Practice Resident Research, UBC Dietetic Interns, UBC Pharmacy Residents and UBC Summer Medical Students Research Projects need to apply ONLY to Island Health for their projects.
Refer to this UBC Guidance Note (PDF) for more information.
Please submit your application to Island Health Research Ethics using the Research Portal and ensure you notify UBC in accordance with the UBC guidance document.
Research Ethics and Compliance Office
Queen Alexandra Centre
Main Building, Room 205
2400 Arbutus Rd
250-519-6726 (internal 36726)
250-519-5300 ext. 36212
Joy (Joey) Pearson
250-519-5300 ext. 36210
250-519-5300 ext. 36207
Operational or Institutional Approval
250-519-6726 (internal 36726)
250-519-6706 (internal 36706)