Canada Research Continuity Emergency Fund
The Canada Research Continuity Emergency Fund (CRCEF) was announced on May 15, 2020, as part of the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan. The three-stage program has been established to help sustain the research enterprise at Canadian universities and health research institutions that have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program, which has a total budget of $450 million, will support two main research areas:
- Wage support (up to 75% for 12 weeks; $847/week maximum) for eligible research personnel who were paid from non-government sources (March 15–August 29, 2020) (Stages 1 and 2, $325 million).
- Incurred costs associated with maintenance and ramping-up of research activities (Stage 3, $125 million).
More details about the program can be found on the CRCEF program webpage.
Stage 2 Funding
An internal review committee was formed to oversee CRCEF and ensure alignment to the Tri-agency program policies and requirements. The internal review committee was composed of the Business Manager, Research and Capacity Building and the Coordinator of Finance, with confirmation of salaries made by the Director of Finance. The committee included members from equity-seeking groups, and members who had completed unconscious bias training. To reduce bias, personnel were identified through review of internal records.
The Island Health Research and Capacity Building department applied for Stage 2 funding for wage support for research-related personnel placed on administrative leave due to COVID-19. The CRCEF funding received was transferred to Research and Capacity Building operating and research accounts to offset ongoing salaries for research employees on leave during the eligibility period.
Decision process for allocation of Stage 2 funds:
- An Internal Review Committee was formed to review the list.
- Personnel were identified by internal employee/financial records.
- The approved list was provided to the Finance Department to confirm CRCEF Stage 2 application amounts as per the program guidelines.
Island Health received $53,380.00 in Stage 2 funding.
Island Health did not apply for funding in Stages 1, 3 or 4.
Contact for CRCEF Program Compliance
All general inquiries or concerns related to equity, diversity or inclusion for CRCEF should be directed to, and will be handled by Dawn Waterhouse (Dawn.Waterhouse@islandhealth.ca)